Boy Named Su Looks Good at Fitch Park
Chris Weimer blasted a bases-loaded triple to key a five-run 8th, as the EXST Cubs rallied to tie the EXST Giants 6-6 in an eight-inning game at Fitch Park Field #1 this morning in Mesa. The 22-year old Weimer was signed by the Cubs as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) this past off-season after surviving a near-fatal car crash during his senior year in college at the U. of Nebraska - Omaha.
19-year old Korean RHP Su-Min Jung got the start for the Cubs and worked three strong innings, mixing a plus-fastball with an advanced curve and change. He got a lot of swings & misses.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, FC, K - 1 R)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, E-6 - 1 R, 1 PO)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (1B, 3-U, 4-3, 1B - 1 R)
4. John Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, L-8, K, 1B - 1 R, 1 RBI)
5. Jericho Jones, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, K, P-3)
6. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, F-9, F-9, 1B - 1 R)
7. Chris Weimer, 1B: 2-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3B - 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-4 (4-3, L-4, 4-3, K+WP - 1 SB)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, K)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
3. Cody Hams - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcos Perez - 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO
3B John Contreras bobbled grounder (E-5), allowing batter to reach base
Jose Guevara - 1-2 CS
In EXST Cubs news, RHP Dumas Garcia (left at EXST after getting cut from the Iowa Cubs roster the last day of Minor League Camp) has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for a PTBNL (or ca$h), OF Kurt Calvert (2008 32nd round pick out of U. of Missouri) has left camp and will likely retire, and RHP Todd Blackford (who had been rehabbing at Fitch Park since Spring Training) has moved up to AA Tennessee.
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."
9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.
Bring the A-Team back.
4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.
RIP 2016 cubs.
i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.
see you guys next season.
Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies
Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well
Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?
We'll get 'em next year!
David Fuckin Ross!!!
That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.
2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
3- yes...he could use a roid re-up
wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.
1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.
Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.
wow happ...i thought they'd "go slow" with his development because of the lack of need and giving him time to try to stick at 2nd. neat.
he turns 22 in a couple months.