Boy Named Su Looks Good at Fitch Park
Chris Weimer blasted a bases-loaded triple to key a five-run 8th, as the EXST Cubs rallied to tie the EXST Giants 6-6 in an eight-inning game at Fitch Park Field #1 this morning in Mesa. The 22-year old Weimer was signed by the Cubs as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) this past off-season after surviving a near-fatal car crash during his senior year in college at the U. of Nebraska - Omaha.
19-year old Korean RHP Su-Min Jung got the start for the Cubs and worked three strong innings, mixing a plus-fastball with an advanced curve and change. He got a lot of swings & misses.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, FC, K - 1 R)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, E-6 - 1 R, 1 PO)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (1B, 3-U, 4-3, 1B - 1 R)
4. John Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, L-8, K, 1B - 1 R, 1 RBI)
5. Jericho Jones, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, K, P-3)
6. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, F-9, F-9, 1B - 1 R)
7. Chris Weimer, 1B: 2-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3B - 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-4 (4-3, L-4, 4-3, K+WP - 1 SB)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, K)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
3. Cody Hams - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcos Perez - 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO
3B John Contreras bobbled grounder (E-5), allowing batter to reach base
Jose Guevara - 1-2 CS
In EXST Cubs news, RHP Dumas Garcia (left at EXST after getting cut from the Iowa Cubs roster the last day of Minor League Camp) has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for a PTBNL (or ca$h), OF Kurt Calvert (2008 32nd round pick out of U. of Missouri) has left camp and will likely retire, and RHP Todd Blackford (who had been rehabbing at Fitch Park since Spring Training) has moved up to AA Tennessee.
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.