Ten Extra-Base Hits Do the Trick for Cubs at Fitch Park
Dwayne Kemp had three hits (including two triples) and drove in four runs, Chris Weimer slugged three doubles and drove-in three runs, Logan Watkins had three hits and two RBI, and Kevin Soto had three hits and an outfield assist, leading the EXST Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the EXST Angels at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in hot & sunny Mesa.
A native of Rotterdam, Kemp was the second player signed by the Cubs out of the MLB European Baseball Academy (Italian RHP Alessandro Maestri was the first) and was a member of the Team Netherlands provisional roster for the WBC, and like Cubs 2B Mike Fontenot, the 5'8 might-mite really packs some punch. Both of Kempy's triples today were opposite field shots slammed off the right-centerfield fence.
20-year old Venezuelan RHP Robert Hernandez, who is at EXST rehabbing from a sprained ankle suffered in a game at Papago Park the last week of Minor League Camp, pitched two innings today and showed no ill effects. Several of his family and friends were at the game today, and he looks to be about ready to move up to Daytona.
And LHP Chris Siegfried, who was left at Fitch Park at the end of Minor League Camp to work on his mechanics and revamp his delivery, has been promoted to Peoria.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Logan Watkins, SS: 3-5 (5-3, 2B, 6-3, 1B, 1B - 1 R, 2 RBI)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 0-4 (K, SH, P-4, L-5, 6-3 GIDP)
3a. Alvaro Sosa, C: 0-2 (K, K)
3b. John Contreras, C: 1-2 (1B, FC - 1 R, 1 RBI)
3c. Jose Guevara, PH-C: 0-1 (4-3)
4. Chris Weimer, 1B: 3-4 (6-3, 2B, 2B, 2B - 2 R, 3 RBI)
5. Sean Hoorelbeke, DH #1: 2-4 (2B, 2B, FC, 1-3 - 2 R, 1 RBI)
6. Jericho Jones, LF: 1-3 (2B, 4-3, BB, K - 2 R, 1 RBI)
7. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 3-4 (3B, 5-3, 3B, 1B - 4 RBI
8. Kevin Soto, RF: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 1B - 1 R)
9. Sean Williams, DH #2: 1-4 (3-1, 1-3, 1B, K - 1 R)
10. Jose Made, 3B: 2-4 (2B, 3-U, 1B, FC - 2 R)
1. Andres Quezada - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 2/0 GO/FO
2. Robert Hernandez - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO
3. Adam Spencer - 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 2 WP, 1/2 GO/FO
4. Carlos Rojas - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/FO
5. Manolin DeLeon - 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO
John Contreras; 0-1 CS
CF Jae Hoon Ha threw out a ruunner 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to left-center, and RF Kevin Soto threw out a batter 9-6 trying to stretch a bloop single hit down the RF line into a double.
Sean Hoorelbeke was thrown out 7-6-5 while inexplicitly trying to stretch a double into a triple with two outs in the 3rd inning, and Dwayne Kemp was thrown out 2-1 with two outs in the 6th while trying to score from third base on a pitch that bounded away from the catcher.
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.