The Cubs Face Life Without Rammy

Assuming Aramis Ramirez is out of the Cub lineup for exactly 8 weeks from this past Friday night, he'll be back for the July 4th game between the Cubs and Brewers at Wrigley Field, the third game of a four-game series.

In the interim, the Cubs will play 48 games, including all 15 of their interleague games against AL Central teams. Ramirez will also miss 20 games against NL Central opponents and the one and only visit by the Dodgers to Wrigley Field, which, owing to other, non-injury events, will now be completely Ramirez-free.

Here is what the next 8 weeks hold for the Cubs and their two leading division rivals:

Cardinals
   — Games vs. losing teams
13 21 33
   — Games vs. other two

6 v. Milw; 3 v. Cubs

6 v. StL; 2 v. Cubs

3 v. StL; 2 v. Milw

Not even 20% into the '09 season, the differences between many "winning teams" and losing ones is pretty slight. That said, it's heartening to look at the Cubs' schedule and see the Padres, Astros, Pirates, and White Sox coming up, while the Cards' workload these next eight weeks includes nine games against the Brewers, home-and-home series with the up-and-coming Royals, and a four-game set with the Mets in New York.

None of this is going to make it any easier to see Mike Fontenot, Bobby Scales, and Ryan Freel patrolling Ramirez's rightful place at third base for the next couple months. But it's the best I can come up with right now.

Comments

'When we get Zambrano back, now we've got Wells and we've got Marshall to look at, and then we'll have to make a decision,'' said Piniella, also referring to right-hander Randy Wells, who's filling in for Zambrano in the rotation. ''I like the way Wells throws the ball, so he'll be staying. So it's just a matter of where.''

Move Marshall out of the rotation? That's a dumb idea. Keep Wells, dump Patton. It was a "cute" idea, but the kid has no place on a team that has designs on reaching the playoffs. Wells OTOH would be an ideal long/middle reliever.

I'd also trade Jake Fox for a lefty reliever so I could dump Cotts, but that's just me.

Also, how long until Gooz supplants Heilman as the 7th inning guy? Heilman is back to his Mets-level of sucktitude, damn, can he EVER throw strikes? Awful.

Nice to see Lou has finally figured out how to use Gregg correctly, he's looked MUCH better now that he is settled in to that one-inning, fresh-inning pattern.

Marmol's arm is going to fall off.

I wouldn't say that Patton has no place on a playoff calibre team, it's just that our bullpen has been so shitty Lou's felt like he's been forced to use Patton in situations he probably shouldn't have.

The Marshall thing is probably because we don't have a useful lefthander in the bullpen, moreso than how he's pitched.

Marmol's arm is going to fall off.

Oh please. That kind of thing never happens.

I bet Prior will win us a Cy Young this year, narrowly beating out Wood. Chad Fox will give them both a hearty handshake with his pitching arm.

I don't know what Marshall needs to do to stay in the rotation. His L/R splits are not that differentiated so not sure what value he brings as a lefty reliever that Wells just could not provide as a righty reliever.

I am slightly worried by Marmol's work load thus far too. It is not just the innings, but the number of pitches he has thrown.

Big win Sunday though. Much needed going into offday. New we get SD and HOU at home and should be able to feast on them some.

I'm perplexed regarding Lou's continual usage of Howry - there must be better options from the minor leagues at this point. Anyone would probably be a better option, lefty or righty.

Woah, I meant COTTS. Need that second cup of coffee quite badly, apparently. Lou's devotion to Cotts does remind me of his similar feelings towards Howry.

Freudian slip. And a good one, at that.

• crunch 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 1 hour 13 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

crunch 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 2 hours 10 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 18 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 28 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 47 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.