EXST Cubs Face Kelvim Escobar at Diablo Park
Dwayne Kemp drove in the go-ahead runs with a line drive two-run single to right-center in the top of the 11th, but the EXST Cubs could not hold the lead, as the EXST Angels rallied with two runs of their own in the bottom of the frame, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 4-4 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at the Angels Minor League Complex at Diablo Park in Tempe this morning.
The other offensive highlight for the Cubs was provided over the course of an inning by speedy Dominican lead-off hitter Jose Valdez, who reached base after being hit by a pitch to lead-off the top of the 5th, and then proceeded to steal 2nd, 3rd, and home.
For all you Angels fans out there (and you know who you are), RHSP Kelvim Escobar (on the 60-day DL after undergoing shoulder surgery) made a rehab start for the EXST Angels, throwing 1.2 IP (30 pitches) and retiring all five men he faced on three ground outs, a line drive, and a strikeout.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)...
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-3 (K, HBP, 1-3, 1-3 - 1 R, 3 SB)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, DH #1: 0-3 (L-6, BB, 6-3, L-4 DP - 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, C - DH #2: 2-4 (4-3, F-7, 1B, 2B - 1 R)
4. Chris Weimer, 1B: 1-4 (5-3, P-3, K, 1B - 1 R)
5. Jericho Jones, LF: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, 4-3, HBP - 1 R)
6. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-4 (K, F-7, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 PO)
7. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-2 (BB, E-6, SH, 1B - 2 RBI)
8. Kevin Soto, RF: 0-3: (K, 6-3 GIDP, 6-3)
9. George Matheus, 3B: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 3-U)
10. Juan Medina, DH #2 - C: 1-3 (FC, 6-3, 1B)
1. Jon Nagel - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 7/1 GO/FO
2. Tarlandus Mitchell - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/FO
3. Eduardo Figueroa - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 2.0 IP, 2 H. 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 6/0 GO/FO
5. Marcos Perez - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO
6. Josh Lansford - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
SS Logan Watkins bobbled a grounder allowing batter to reach base with one out in the bottom of the 3rd inning, eventually resulting in an unearned run.
Juan Medina - 0-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 16 (including retired MLB LHP Bruce Hurst, who was there to watch his son Kyle pitch for the EXST Angels)
I think it's probably hard to adjust to an ump's zone mid-game, as least for hitters. Pitchers can locate to an ump's zone, but hitters have minimal time to react.
But, whatever. Umps are going to miss calls. Let's beat up on the non-Lackey starters.
Watched a little of Mets-Dodgers.
Jason deGrom -- oh, my.
Cubs 3-4-5 hitters are 0-21 so far in the post-season.
Let's change that in a big effin' way tomorrow, boys.
Considering how players reacted it seemed pretty accurate high and wide (to righties), but not so accurate low and in. I thought the strike zone by the ump was awful, but it was consistent and the Cubs never adjusted.
Rizzo and Bryant need to have good at bats. They are really looking outclassed in these two games.
that game sounds fun as hell.
I was just wondering the same thing. I'd rather not see it at all. If it's inaccurate, it's a bad viewer experience. If it's accurate, it shows some shitty calling by the umpire.
TBS' K Zone seems to be more harsh than the others.
I wonder if MLB will ask the networks to stop using them. They just make the umps, and the game, look bad, and it only pisses off the fans.
"Strop vs. Cardinals." Seen the movie. Hated it.
Not all that disappointed -- I didn't think they would beat Lackey in Game 1. Need to get the bats going against the guys with less experience -- and they hit Wacha pretty good.
Rizzo has been slumping the last couple weeks of the season. Very disappointed it has continued during his penultimate moment of his career to date.
Really doesn't matter, but I was surprised to see Lester pulled and Strop pulled in. Should of left Lester in. oy.
Sweet merciful fuck, I hate the Cardinals.
Really doesn't matter, but I was surprised to see Lester out for the 8th. Down 1-0, at 100 pitches, seemed better to give a very fresh bullpen a little work.
Oh well...Throw away game, although in a 5 game series there is no luxury afforded to do that.
This game is not on Lester - he did his job
Had a lot of hope hanging on that deep Fowler fly in the sixth.
Really despise the Cards