A's Rally to Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Jericho Jones had three hits, reached base all four times he batted on two singles, a double, and a HBP, stole a base, and drove in a run, but the EXST A's rallied to score the tying run in the 8th and the game-winning run in the 9th en route to a 5-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in warm & overcast Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Manolin DeLeon has been promoted to Peoria (replacing RHP Aaron Shafer, who was placed on the Peoria DL), and OF Francisco Guzman has returned to Fitch Park after spending ten days at Daytona while Tyler Colvin was on the D-Cubs DL with a concussion.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 SB)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (P-2, 1B, 2B, 6-3 - 1 CS)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, L-6, F-7, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
4. John Contreras, DH-C: 0-4 (K, 1-3, P-3, K)
5a. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, E-6)
5b. Francisco Guzman, PR-RF: 1-1 (1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
6. Kevin Soto, RF-1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, BB, 1-4 FC - 2 R, 2 SB)
7. Jericho Jones, DH #2: 3-3 (2B, HBP, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 SB)
8. George Matheus, 3B 0-2 (K, 1-3 SH, F-8 SF, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-8 - 1 RBI)
10. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-3 (K, L-3 DP, F-8)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO (52 pitches - 32 strikes)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/FO (34 pitches - 20 strikes)
3. Gian Guzman - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO
4. Cedric Redmond - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
5. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K
1. 3B George Matheus allowed RBI grounder to go through his legs (E-5) with runners at 2nd & 3rd and no outs in the top of the 3rd, allowing batter to reach base safely (and eventually leading to two unearned runs scoring).
2. SS Robert Bautista threw ball into right field (E-6) while trying to get force out at 2nd base with game tied, one out, and runner on 1st base in the top of the 9th, allowing runner to score an unearned run (the eventual game-winning run) and batter to reach base.
Jose Guevara - 1-1 CS
LF Jae-Hoon Ha threw out runner (7-2) trying to score from 2nd base on line drive single to LF with two outs in the top of the 9th.
WEATHER: mid-80's and overcast, rain expected later tonight
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.
Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.
Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?
Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.
Interesting choices when guys get healthy.
LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.
Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?
I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.
oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.
poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.
Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)
Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.
almora's 1st HR!
it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.
kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.
It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.
At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.
he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.
After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.
Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.
SHOW ME THE MONEY: Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.
Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues, so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.
Other Cubs represented by Boras include Jake Arrieta, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Albert Almora Jr.
I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!