A's Rally to Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Jericho Jones had three hits, reached base all four times he batted on two singles, a double, and a HBP, stole a base, and drove in a run, but the EXST A's rallied to score the tying run in the 8th and the game-winning run in the 9th en route to a 5-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in warm & overcast Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Manolin DeLeon has been promoted to Peoria (replacing RHP Aaron Shafer, who was placed on the Peoria DL), and OF Francisco Guzman has returned to Fitch Park after spending ten days at Daytona while Tyler Colvin was on the D-Cubs DL with a concussion.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 SB)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (P-2, 1B, 2B, 6-3 - 1 CS)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, L-6, F-7, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
4. John Contreras, DH-C: 0-4 (K, 1-3, P-3, K)
5a. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, E-6)
5b. Francisco Guzman, PR-RF: 1-1 (1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
6. Kevin Soto, RF-1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, BB, 1-4 FC - 2 R, 2 SB)
7. Jericho Jones, DH #2: 3-3 (2B, HBP, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 SB)
8. George Matheus, 3B 0-2 (K, 1-3 SH, F-8 SF, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-8 - 1 RBI)
10. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-3 (K, L-3 DP, F-8)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO (52 pitches - 32 strikes)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/FO (34 pitches - 20 strikes)
3. Gian Guzman - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO
4. Cedric Redmond - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
5. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K
1. 3B George Matheus allowed RBI grounder to go through his legs (E-5) with runners at 2nd & 3rd and no outs in the top of the 3rd, allowing batter to reach base safely (and eventually leading to two unearned runs scoring).
2. SS Robert Bautista threw ball into right field (E-6) while trying to get force out at 2nd base with game tied, one out, and runner on 1st base in the top of the 9th, allowing runner to score an unearned run (the eventual game-winning run) and batter to reach base.
Jose Guevara - 1-1 CS
LF Jae-Hoon Ha threw out runner (7-2) trying to score from 2nd base on line drive single to LF with two outs in the top of the 9th.
WEATHER: mid-80's and overcast, rain expected later tonight
so far ryan williams (AAA) is the only system prospect on the "could be ready soon" horizon doing well...that said, he's not very exciting and he's assumed to be an end-rotation talent at best.
paul blackburn is getting great early returns in AA, but he's getting surprisingly low K numbers doing it. he throws lot of low/sinking stuff with good control...also assumed to be an end-rotation guy, but he's got room to be better, especially given his control as base to build on.
Speaking of pitching -- another ugly outing for Underwood at AA. Through 6 starts: 5.19 ERA, WHIP 1.69. Yikes!
Man, do we need starting pitching depth. Our best hopes are still hanging with AZ Phil in Arizona. Very scary.
jeebus... that's terrible.
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.
Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.
I'm also very happy to hear about the bi-level bump for Daniel Lewis. In the Name of Theo, he was the Last of the Full-Season Cuts, and There Will Be Blood for those who unnecessarily slow his development. Sure, he might end up in independent ball pitching for Lincoln. But if everything breaks right, he may even have a shot at joining up with the Gangs of Chicago. I wouldn't bet My Left Foot on it, though.
CHARLIE: The Cubs did the same thing with LHSP Eric Jokisch last month, and it has nothing to do with needing the player's 40-man roster slot.
The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.
Moosetacos, I like it. All I can think of is a bearded lumberjack dude operating a Mexican style taco truck with a Canadian accent.
How strange is this for May? Is it insignificant, or does it suggest some sort of trade might be in the works?
The Cubs have sent LHRP C. J. Riefenhauser outright to Iowa.
Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).
yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.
gordon broke his wrist, expected to miss 4+ weeks...and today moosetacos has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. fun times in KC.
dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.
fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.
Tony LaRussa, still an idiot
Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.
Gleyber also in the picture at second.
Losing the right way