A's Rally to Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Jericho Jones had three hits, reached base all four times he batted on two singles, a double, and a HBP, stole a base, and drove in a run, but the EXST A's rallied to score the tying run in the 8th and the game-winning run in the 9th en route to a 5-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in warm & overcast Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Manolin DeLeon has been promoted to Peoria (replacing RHP Aaron Shafer, who was placed on the Peoria DL), and OF Francisco Guzman has returned to Fitch Park after spending ten days at Daytona while Tyler Colvin was on the D-Cubs DL with a concussion.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 SB)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (P-2, 1B, 2B, 6-3 - 1 CS)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, L-6, F-7, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
4. John Contreras, DH-C: 0-4 (K, 1-3, P-3, K)
5a. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, E-6)
5b. Francisco Guzman, PR-RF: 1-1 (1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
6. Kevin Soto, RF-1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, BB, 1-4 FC - 2 R, 2 SB)
7. Jericho Jones, DH #2: 3-3 (2B, HBP, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 SB)
8. George Matheus, 3B 0-2 (K, 1-3 SH, F-8 SF, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-8 - 1 RBI)
10. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-3 (K, L-3 DP, F-8)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO (52 pitches - 32 strikes)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/FO (34 pitches - 20 strikes)
3. Gian Guzman - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO
4. Cedric Redmond - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
5. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K
1. 3B George Matheus allowed RBI grounder to go through his legs (E-5) with runners at 2nd & 3rd and no outs in the top of the 3rd, allowing batter to reach base safely (and eventually leading to two unearned runs scoring).
2. SS Robert Bautista threw ball into right field (E-6) while trying to get force out at 2nd base with game tied, one out, and runner on 1st base in the top of the 9th, allowing runner to score an unearned run (the eventual game-winning run) and batter to reach base.
Jose Guevara - 1-1 CS
LF Jae-Hoon Ha threw out runner (7-2) trying to score from 2nd base on line drive single to LF with two outs in the top of the 9th.
WEATHER: mid-80's and overcast, rain expected later tonight
Yeah... that was some very athletic stuff from Willson in the 9th. Impressive.
I think Chapman and Wood both need 2 days off -- rosters expand, bring 'em up!
Cubs now 41-15 in August in the Maddon era. That'll do. That will effing do.
31 pitches, 2 hits, 1 walk, and 3 wild pitches later...the cubs win by 1.
contreras snagged some other potential wild pitches in this chapman appearance.
22 wins in august. woo.
Down on the farm:
"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.
Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?
UPDATE: Candy goes 3-5 tonight. Now hitting .325. Also, Almora 4-5, which is nice to see.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.