A's Rally to Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Jericho Jones had three hits, reached base all four times he batted on two singles, a double, and a HBP, stole a base, and drove in a run, but the EXST A's rallied to score the tying run in the 8th and the game-winning run in the 9th en route to a 5-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in warm & overcast Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Manolin DeLeon has been promoted to Peoria (replacing RHP Aaron Shafer, who was placed on the Peoria DL), and OF Francisco Guzman has returned to Fitch Park after spending ten days at Daytona while Tyler Colvin was on the D-Cubs DL with a concussion.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 SB)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (P-2, 1B, 2B, 6-3 - 1 CS)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, L-6, F-7, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
4. John Contreras, DH-C: 0-4 (K, 1-3, P-3, K)
5a. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, E-6)
5b. Francisco Guzman, PR-RF: 1-1 (1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
6. Kevin Soto, RF-1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, BB, 1-4 FC - 2 R, 2 SB)
7. Jericho Jones, DH #2: 3-3 (2B, HBP, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 SB)
8. George Matheus, 3B 0-2 (K, 1-3 SH, F-8 SF, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-8 - 1 RBI)
10. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-3 (K, L-3 DP, F-8)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO (52 pitches - 32 strikes)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/FO (34 pitches - 20 strikes)
3. Gian Guzman - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO
4. Cedric Redmond - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
5. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K
1. 3B George Matheus allowed RBI grounder to go through his legs (E-5) with runners at 2nd & 3rd and no outs in the top of the 3rd, allowing batter to reach base safely (and eventually leading to two unearned runs scoring).
2. SS Robert Bautista threw ball into right field (E-6) while trying to get force out at 2nd base with game tied, one out, and runner on 1st base in the top of the 9th, allowing runner to score an unearned run (the eventual game-winning run) and batter to reach base.
Jose Guevara - 1-1 CS
LF Jae-Hoon Ha threw out runner (7-2) trying to score from 2nd base on line drive single to LF with two outs in the top of the 9th.
WEATHER: mid-80's and overcast, rain expected later tonight
vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.
while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.
Carl Jr.! Very nice!
Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.
m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.
...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.
I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.
2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.
welcome back fowler.
More slow news...
Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?
glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.
.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.
i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).
CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).
The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.
CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.
Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.
Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"
He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.
Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.
Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.
Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.
Slow news day...