A's Rally to Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Jericho Jones had three hits, reached base all four times he batted on two singles, a double, and a HBP, stole a base, and drove in a run, but the EXST A's rallied to score the tying run in the 8th and the game-winning run in the 9th en route to a 5-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in warm & overcast Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Manolin DeLeon has been promoted to Peoria (replacing RHP Aaron Shafer, who was placed on the Peoria DL), and OF Francisco Guzman has returned to Fitch Park after spending ten days at Daytona while Tyler Colvin was on the D-Cubs DL with a concussion.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (K+WP, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 SB)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (P-2, 1B, 2B, 6-3 - 1 CS)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, L-6, F-7, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
4. John Contreras, DH-C: 0-4 (K, 1-3, P-3, K)
5a. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, E-6)
5b. Francisco Guzman, PR-RF: 1-1 (1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
6. Kevin Soto, RF-1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, BB, 1-4 FC - 2 R, 2 SB)
7. Jericho Jones, DH #2: 3-3 (2B, HBP, 1B, 1B - 1 RBI, 1 SB)
8. George Matheus, 3B 0-2 (K, 1-3 SH, F-8 SF, 4-3 - 1 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-8 - 1 RBI)
10. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-3 (K, L-3 DP, F-8)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO (52 pitches - 32 strikes)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/FO (34 pitches - 20 strikes)
3. Gian Guzman - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO
4. Cedric Redmond - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
5. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K
1. 3B George Matheus allowed RBI grounder to go through his legs (E-5) with runners at 2nd & 3rd and no outs in the top of the 3rd, allowing batter to reach base safely (and eventually leading to two unearned runs scoring).
2. SS Robert Bautista threw ball into right field (E-6) while trying to get force out at 2nd base with game tied, one out, and runner on 1st base in the top of the 9th, allowing runner to score an unearned run (the eventual game-winning run) and batter to reach base.
Jose Guevara - 1-1 CS
LF Jae-Hoon Ha threw out runner (7-2) trying to score from 2nd base on line drive single to LF with two outs in the top of the 9th.
WEATHER: mid-80's and overcast, rain expected later tonight
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.