Splitsville in Scottsdale for Cubs and Giants
Robert Hernandez was clubbed for seven runs in a nightmarish bottom of the 1st inning and the EXST Giants cruised to 9-3 victory over the EXST Cubs on Indian Bend Park Field #4 in Scotsdale this morning, but not to worry too much, because Logan Watkins and Matt Cerda drove-in two runs apiece and Su-Min Jung and Toby Matchulat combined to throw six innings of two-hit shutout ball, as the another squad of EXST Cubs defeated another squad of EXST Giants 5-1 at Indian Bend Park Field #3, in a game played simultaneous to the one on Field #4. And I was able to watch both games simutaneously, too.
Dwayne Kemp returned to the lineup (he was a DH on Field #4) after missing a week-plus of games while nursing a sore quad, and he looked rusty, too, striking out in each of his first three ABs.
And the Cubs didn't bring enough position players along to fill the normal two DH slots. Outfielders Jae-Hoon Ha and Francisco Guzman did not make the trip to Scottsdale today. I know Ha is injured (he has been in shorts and t-shirt for several days now), but I don't why Guzman was absent.
So then here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" PLAYING ON FIELD #3:
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 5-3 SH, 1B, 6-3 - 1 R, 1 SB,1 CS)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B - 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, F-7 - 2 RBI)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, BB, K)
5. Jericho Jones, RF: 0-2 (BB, BB, K, 3-U - 1 R)
6. Chris Weimer, LF: 0-4 (L-6, L-6, K, F-8)
7. Juan Medina, C: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, F-9 - 1 R)
8. George Matheus, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 2B, 3-1, F-9)
9. Jose Guevara, DH: 0-1 (F-8)
NOTE: #9 spot in order was skipped until the 8th inning, when hard-workin' Jose Guevara was finally able to get an AB after being assigned to warm-up pitchers (from both Cubs squads) in the bullpen for most of the game.
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 5/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/3 GO/FO
3. Yohan Gonzalez - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP,1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
SS Logan Watkins had two errors (one throwing error and one fielding error, both allowing the batter to reach base safely), and 3B George Matheus had one fielding error allowing batter to reach base, although the batter was immediately thrown out 7-4 (LF Chris Weimer to 2B Matt Cerda) when he tried to take 2nd on the play.
SQUAD "B" PLAYING ON FIELD #4:
1. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, F-7, 6-3 - 1 RBI)
2. Dwayne Kemp, DH: 0-4 (K, K, K, 5-3)
3. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, BB - 1 R, 1 SB)
4. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, F-8, 1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
5. Alvaro Sosa, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
6. Robert Bautista, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B - 1 RBI)
7. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, P-4)
8. Sean Williams, LF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 5-3)
9. Jose Made, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB - 1 R, 2 SB)
1. Robert Hernandez - 2.1 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/1 GO/FO
3. George Pineda - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/FO
P George Pineda had one fielding error (dropped throw covering 1st base) leading to two unearned runs scoring later in the inning, and 1B Sean Hoorelbeke had one fielding error (two base error, batted ball caromed off his glove and into right-field foul territory, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
Alvaro Sosa: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Temperature got up into the 90's by the end of the games, but it was also partly cloudy
ATTENDANCE: 13 (including Hak-Ju Lee's family visiting from South Korea)
Happ signs w Jays
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!