Splitsville in Scottsdale for Cubs and Giants
Robert Hernandez was clubbed for seven runs in a nightmarish bottom of the 1st inning and the EXST Giants cruised to 9-3 victory over the EXST Cubs on Indian Bend Park Field #4 in Scotsdale this morning, but not to worry too much, because Logan Watkins and Matt Cerda drove-in two runs apiece and Su-Min Jung and Toby Matchulat combined to throw six innings of two-hit shutout ball, as the another squad of EXST Cubs defeated another squad of EXST Giants 5-1 at Indian Bend Park Field #3, in a game played simultaneous to the one on Field #4. And I was able to watch both games simutaneously, too.
Dwayne Kemp returned to the lineup (he was a DH on Field #4) after missing a week-plus of games while nursing a sore quad, and he looked rusty, too, striking out in each of his first three ABs.
And the Cubs didn't bring enough position players along to fill the normal two DH slots. Outfielders Jae-Hoon Ha and Francisco Guzman did not make the trip to Scottsdale today. I know Ha is injured (he has been in shorts and t-shirt for several days now), but I don't why Guzman was absent.
So then here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" PLAYING ON FIELD #3:
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 5-3 SH, 1B, 6-3 - 1 R, 1 SB,1 CS)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B - 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, F-7 - 2 RBI)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, BB, K)
5. Jericho Jones, RF: 0-2 (BB, BB, K, 3-U - 1 R)
6. Chris Weimer, LF: 0-4 (L-6, L-6, K, F-8)
7. Juan Medina, C: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, F-9 - 1 R)
8. George Matheus, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 2B, 3-1, F-9)
9. Jose Guevara, DH: 0-1 (F-8)
NOTE: #9 spot in order was skipped until the 8th inning, when hard-workin' Jose Guevara was finally able to get an AB after being assigned to warm-up pitchers (from both Cubs squads) in the bullpen for most of the game.
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 5/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/3 GO/FO
3. Yohan Gonzalez - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP,1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
SS Logan Watkins had two errors (one throwing error and one fielding error, both allowing the batter to reach base safely), and 3B George Matheus had one fielding error allowing batter to reach base, although the batter was immediately thrown out 7-4 (LF Chris Weimer to 2B Matt Cerda) when he tried to take 2nd on the play.
SQUAD "B" PLAYING ON FIELD #4:
1. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, F-7, 6-3 - 1 RBI)
2. Dwayne Kemp, DH: 0-4 (K, K, K, 5-3)
3. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, BB - 1 R, 1 SB)
4. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, F-8, 1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
5. Alvaro Sosa, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
6. Robert Bautista, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B - 1 RBI)
7. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, P-4)
8. Sean Williams, LF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 5-3)
9. Jose Made, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB - 1 R, 2 SB)
1. Robert Hernandez - 2.1 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/1 GO/FO
3. George Pineda - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/FO
P George Pineda had one fielding error (dropped throw covering 1st base) leading to two unearned runs scoring later in the inning, and 1B Sean Hoorelbeke had one fielding error (two base error, batted ball caromed off his glove and into right-field foul territory, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
Alvaro Sosa: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Temperature got up into the 90's by the end of the games, but it was also partly cloudy
ATTENDANCE: 13 (including Hak-Ju Lee's family visiting from South Korea)
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.
He will not pitch another game for Cubs
/Unless injury in playoffs
Today is bullpen day