Zambrano Suspended for 6 Games; Cubs Scurry for Pinch-Hitter

As expected, Carlos Zambrano was handed a six game suspension for his antics yesterday. Unlike Milton Bradley, pride isn't an issue for Z as he said he won't bother appealing the suspension and will begin serving it immediately. He'll miss the Dodgers series and the first two games in Atlanta next week. Conveniently the Cubs have an off-day Monday, so some minor rotation juggling and Z should be starting next Thursday in Atlanta.

Comments

If you really wanted to screw around I guess you have him make his starts until the suspension doesn't cover an off day, then retract the appeal, and maybe pitch Lilly on 3 days rest.

Great quote from the video highlight linked,

"That always works."

Hopefully 4 months from now we will be talking about how that play lit a fire under the Cubs on their way to their first WS in a century +.

I endorse this plan.

i like to think the chicken i slaughtered and the 3 candles i burned played much more of a role in recent cubs wins.

all of this could have been avoided 2 weeks ago if lou would have just patted more butts and kicked dirt on an umpire. what are they paying this guy for? i don't have enough candles to burn for good luck every time this asshat does something counter-productive.

If and when we're saying that, I'll be thinking in the back of my mind "what a load of mularkey", but I sure won't argue about it.

Lou's dipshittedness cost us the game Monday, though.

LF Soriano, SS Theriot, RF Bradley, 1B Lee, CF Johnson, C Soto, 3B Fontenot, 2B Blanco, P Wells.

which side of the plate will Blanco hit from with the curveball throwing Wolf on the mound?

HE'S GONNA STAND RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE, ROB!! THAT'S HOW YOU HIT A WOLF!!

I was going to guess Pulp Fiction reference at first, but that's not right. You got me.

I WRITE MY OWN SHIT!

my bad...

Scales back up...

yeesh...freel on that chad fox plan.

Lou on pregame:

Trammell is working with Fox at 3B and he's not quite ready yet. He said it may not be pretty but he will get the job done.

TCR Translation: Expect him to start at 3B in Atlanta

Been looking forward to the game all day.. not much to do on my day off... aaaand it's on WCIU. Don't get MLBN. Fuck my life.

you should have invited your girlfriend back in..

EPIC FAIL

Conveniently, I do get MLB network here in northern Indiana. However, MLBN is showing Tigers @ Orioles. If this is the same blackout BS I've fucking had it with baseball. Fucking stupid. Serously, they're talking about the 2008 Orioles yearbook - fuck that

Fox on wgn radio pregame interview:

Me play hard, me have fun...

More Jake Fox:

Q: what are the challenges you are having to meet while practicing at 3B

A: it's about getting the job done, catching the ball, getting the win.

only top 20 picks, but one guy briefly mentioned w/ the Cubs in RHP Eric Arnett is at #18 in this one.

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 54 min 29 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 1 hour 56 min ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 5 hours 24 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 48 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 49 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.