Zambrano Suspended for 6 Games; Cubs Scurry for Pinch-Hitter

As expected, Carlos Zambrano was handed a six game suspension for his antics yesterday. Unlike Milton Bradley, pride isn't an issue for Z as he said he won't bother appealing the suspension and will begin serving it immediately. He'll miss the Dodgers series and the first two games in Atlanta next week. Conveniently the Cubs have an off-day Monday, so some minor rotation juggling and Z should be starting next Thursday in Atlanta.

Comments

If you really wanted to screw around I guess you have him make his starts until the suspension doesn't cover an off day, then retract the appeal, and maybe pitch Lilly on 3 days rest.

Great quote from the video highlight linked,

"That always works."

Hopefully 4 months from now we will be talking about how that play lit a fire under the Cubs on their way to their first WS in a century +.

I endorse this plan.

i like to think the chicken i slaughtered and the 3 candles i burned played much more of a role in recent cubs wins.

all of this could have been avoided 2 weeks ago if lou would have just patted more butts and kicked dirt on an umpire. what are they paying this guy for? i don't have enough candles to burn for good luck every time this asshat does something counter-productive.

If and when we're saying that, I'll be thinking in the back of my mind "what a load of mularkey", but I sure won't argue about it.

Lou's dipshittedness cost us the game Monday, though.

LF Soriano, SS Theriot, RF Bradley, 1B Lee, CF Johnson, C Soto, 3B Fontenot, 2B Blanco, P Wells.

which side of the plate will Blanco hit from with the curveball throwing Wolf on the mound?

HE'S GONNA STAND RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE, ROB!! THAT'S HOW YOU HIT A WOLF!!

I was going to guess Pulp Fiction reference at first, but that's not right. You got me.

I WRITE MY OWN SHIT!

my bad...

Scales back up...

yeesh...freel on that chad fox plan.

Lou on pregame:

Trammell is working with Fox at 3B and he's not quite ready yet. He said it may not be pretty but he will get the job done.

TCR Translation: Expect him to start at 3B in Atlanta

Been looking forward to the game all day.. not much to do on my day off... aaaand it's on WCIU. Don't get MLBN. Fuck my life.

you should have invited your girlfriend back in..

EPIC FAIL

Conveniently, I do get MLB network here in northern Indiana. However, MLBN is showing Tigers @ Orioles. If this is the same blackout BS I've fucking had it with baseball. Fucking stupid. Serously, they're talking about the 2008 Orioles yearbook - fuck that

Fox on wgn radio pregame interview:

Me play hard, me have fun...

More Jake Fox:

Q: what are the challenges you are having to meet while practicing at 3B

A: it's about getting the job done, catching the ball, getting the win.

only top 20 picks, but one guy briefly mentioned w/ the Cubs in RHP Eric Arnett is at #18 in this one.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 14 hours 2 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 14 hours 31 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 22 hours 14 sec ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 13 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 13 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 13 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 13 hours ago view