50-Game Mark TCR Reader Survey: Question 4

How optimistic do you feel toward the remaining 2009 Chicago Cubs' season?

Comments

Chicago Tribune says Z missed the team flight to Atlanta and got chewed out by Lou when he did arrive.

Sullivan, who really seems to dislike many Cubs players on a personal level and takes pot shots at them instead of just reporting facts, added:

"This isn't the first time Zambrano has ignored team rules, but the Cubs appear to be wearying of his act. He's expected to be fined for this latest incident, and may be asked to apologize to his teammates as well."

Luis Vizcaino was cut supposedly because of not following team rules. Seems like there might be a problem of this stuff. Is this Lou starting to lose the team some?

Oh yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have Vizcaino and his 1.54 ERA in the bullpen right about now? Nah, I would rather have Patton and his big 4.2 IP in the past month rotting on the bench.

I don't miss Vizcaino at all, saw him gag up two games on ESPN this year. But, I'd like a real live 25th guy on the roster rather than Patton. His stuff better be the best since Bob Gibson, that's the only reason to keep a single A player hidden on your 25 man.

A lot of Cub players are disliked by the writers. This apparently is not a likeable team. I've seen at least three writers (including Sullivan) say the 07 and 08 Cubs were much easier to work with, since they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up and dealt with the scribes on a regular basis, whether they were going good or bad. While this team has a few such players (like Lilly and Dempster), from what I can tell most of them are uncooperative.

"they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up"

Actually, according to Bruce Miles it was MARK DEROSA who regularly talked to the media and gave his teammates cover.

Who cares?

I don't want players that talk nicely with the media. I want players who perform on the field.

wow he may have to apoligize to teammates how bout he throws
a four hitter gives up, one run and pitches nine innings so we dont have to look at our bullshit bullpen on thursday.

if lou called him into the office i would hope he wasnt the only one.

cubs best pitcher= randy wells

I went with somewhat optimistic manly because I feel the Brewers and Cardinals are playing over their heads still. I mean we have played as crappy as we have and were still only 4 games back of a playoff spot.

i agree whole-heartedly with your first sentence, and voted the same way.
i shall now live in terror that the challenge you have thrown at the cubs with your second sentence will be answered with: "you folks ain't seen nuthin' yet".

I think SOME Cards and Brewers and Reds are playing over their heads. I feel somewhat optimistic because I think they have a lot of holes in their teams, just like the Cubs. St. Louis starters, Brewers defense and Manny Parra, Reds offense are all problems. What bugs me is that come trade deadline, two of those three will do something about it. Hendry can't, unless it's a dollar for dollar thing. I think dreams of Peavy/Halladay/anyone worth anything are just that - dreams.

Don't look back, someone may be chasing you

--attributed to Satchel Paige

I'm not too optimistic about the rest of the season, and here's why -

If the Cubs want to match what they did last year during the regular season, they'd have to go 72-40 the rest of the way. Yeah right.

Granted, they might not have to match 97 wins, but it looks like the NL Central is a pretty tough division, despite once again getting absolutely no respect during the preseason.

Stealing Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez during the Pads' fire sale would certainly boost my morale though...

As long as Gregg is the closer, I can't feel optimistic.

He thinks he has a Billy Wagner fastball, as evidenced by last night -- "I will announce my presence with authority!". Flat, 93 mph fastballs over the middle of the plate get hit berry, berry far.

"I will announce my presence with authority!"

Nice Bull Durham reference.

• That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.

Eric S 8 hours 40 min ago view
  • ...and it's a 3 run homer.

hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!

crunch 9 hours 6 sec ago view
  • montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.

• from rotoworld...

"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.

• I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

• ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

• nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

crunch 12 hours 22 sec ago view
  • Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 12 hours 4 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

• He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 12 hours 14 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 15 hours 26 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.