50-Game Mark TCR Reader Survey: Question 4

How optimistic do you feel toward the remaining 2009 Chicago Cubs' season?

Comments

Chicago Tribune says Z missed the team flight to Atlanta and got chewed out by Lou when he did arrive.

Sullivan, who really seems to dislike many Cubs players on a personal level and takes pot shots at them instead of just reporting facts, added:

"This isn't the first time Zambrano has ignored team rules, but the Cubs appear to be wearying of his act. He's expected to be fined for this latest incident, and may be asked to apologize to his teammates as well."

Luis Vizcaino was cut supposedly because of not following team rules. Seems like there might be a problem of this stuff. Is this Lou starting to lose the team some?

Oh yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have Vizcaino and his 1.54 ERA in the bullpen right about now? Nah, I would rather have Patton and his big 4.2 IP in the past month rotting on the bench.

I don't miss Vizcaino at all, saw him gag up two games on ESPN this year. But, I'd like a real live 25th guy on the roster rather than Patton. His stuff better be the best since Bob Gibson, that's the only reason to keep a single A player hidden on your 25 man.

A lot of Cub players are disliked by the writers. This apparently is not a likeable team. I've seen at least three writers (including Sullivan) say the 07 and 08 Cubs were much easier to work with, since they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up and dealt with the scribes on a regular basis, whether they were going good or bad. While this team has a few such players (like Lilly and Dempster), from what I can tell most of them are uncooperative.

"they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up"

Actually, according to Bruce Miles it was MARK DEROSA who regularly talked to the media and gave his teammates cover.

Who cares?

I don't want players that talk nicely with the media. I want players who perform on the field.

wow he may have to apoligize to teammates how bout he throws
a four hitter gives up, one run and pitches nine innings so we dont have to look at our bullshit bullpen on thursday.

if lou called him into the office i would hope he wasnt the only one.

cubs best pitcher= randy wells

I went with somewhat optimistic manly because I feel the Brewers and Cardinals are playing over their heads still. I mean we have played as crappy as we have and were still only 4 games back of a playoff spot.

i agree whole-heartedly with your first sentence, and voted the same way.
i shall now live in terror that the challenge you have thrown at the cubs with your second sentence will be answered with: "you folks ain't seen nuthin' yet".

I think SOME Cards and Brewers and Reds are playing over their heads. I feel somewhat optimistic because I think they have a lot of holes in their teams, just like the Cubs. St. Louis starters, Brewers defense and Manny Parra, Reds offense are all problems. What bugs me is that come trade deadline, two of those three will do something about it. Hendry can't, unless it's a dollar for dollar thing. I think dreams of Peavy/Halladay/anyone worth anything are just that - dreams.

Don't look back, someone may be chasing you

--attributed to Satchel Paige

I'm not too optimistic about the rest of the season, and here's why -

If the Cubs want to match what they did last year during the regular season, they'd have to go 72-40 the rest of the way. Yeah right.

Granted, they might not have to match 97 wins, but it looks like the NL Central is a pretty tough division, despite once again getting absolutely no respect during the preseason.

Stealing Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez during the Pads' fire sale would certainly boost my morale though...

As long as Gregg is the closer, I can't feel optimistic.

He thinks he has a Billy Wagner fastball, as evidenced by last night -- "I will announce my presence with authority!". Flat, 93 mph fastballs over the middle of the plate get hit berry, berry far.

"I will announce my presence with authority!"

Nice Bull Durham reference.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

• LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 10 hours 57 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 13 hours 41 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 21 hours 29 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 21 hours 37 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.