50-Game Mark TCR Reader Survey: Question 4

How optimistic do you feel toward the remaining 2009 Chicago Cubs' season?

Comments

Chicago Tribune says Z missed the team flight to Atlanta and got chewed out by Lou when he did arrive.

Sullivan, who really seems to dislike many Cubs players on a personal level and takes pot shots at them instead of just reporting facts, added:

"This isn't the first time Zambrano has ignored team rules, but the Cubs appear to be wearying of his act. He's expected to be fined for this latest incident, and may be asked to apologize to his teammates as well."

Luis Vizcaino was cut supposedly because of not following team rules. Seems like there might be a problem of this stuff. Is this Lou starting to lose the team some?

Oh yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have Vizcaino and his 1.54 ERA in the bullpen right about now? Nah, I would rather have Patton and his big 4.2 IP in the past month rotting on the bench.

I don't miss Vizcaino at all, saw him gag up two games on ESPN this year. But, I'd like a real live 25th guy on the roster rather than Patton. His stuff better be the best since Bob Gibson, that's the only reason to keep a single A player hidden on your 25 man.

A lot of Cub players are disliked by the writers. This apparently is not a likeable team. I've seen at least three writers (including Sullivan) say the 07 and 08 Cubs were much easier to work with, since they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up and dealt with the scribes on a regular basis, whether they were going good or bad. While this team has a few such players (like Lilly and Dempster), from what I can tell most of them are uncooperative.

"they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up"

Actually, according to Bruce Miles it was MARK DEROSA who regularly talked to the media and gave his teammates cover.

Who cares?

I don't want players that talk nicely with the media. I want players who perform on the field.

wow he may have to apoligize to teammates how bout he throws
a four hitter gives up, one run and pitches nine innings so we dont have to look at our bullshit bullpen on thursday.

if lou called him into the office i would hope he wasnt the only one.

cubs best pitcher= randy wells

I went with somewhat optimistic manly because I feel the Brewers and Cardinals are playing over their heads still. I mean we have played as crappy as we have and were still only 4 games back of a playoff spot.

i agree whole-heartedly with your first sentence, and voted the same way.
i shall now live in terror that the challenge you have thrown at the cubs with your second sentence will be answered with: "you folks ain't seen nuthin' yet".

I think SOME Cards and Brewers and Reds are playing over their heads. I feel somewhat optimistic because I think they have a lot of holes in their teams, just like the Cubs. St. Louis starters, Brewers defense and Manny Parra, Reds offense are all problems. What bugs me is that come trade deadline, two of those three will do something about it. Hendry can't, unless it's a dollar for dollar thing. I think dreams of Peavy/Halladay/anyone worth anything are just that - dreams.

Don't look back, someone may be chasing you

--attributed to Satchel Paige

I'm not too optimistic about the rest of the season, and here's why -

If the Cubs want to match what they did last year during the regular season, they'd have to go 72-40 the rest of the way. Yeah right.

Granted, they might not have to match 97 wins, but it looks like the NL Central is a pretty tough division, despite once again getting absolutely no respect during the preseason.

Stealing Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez during the Pads' fire sale would certainly boost my morale though...

As long as Gregg is the closer, I can't feel optimistic.

He thinks he has a Billy Wagner fastball, as evidenced by last night -- "I will announce my presence with authority!". Flat, 93 mph fastballs over the middle of the plate get hit berry, berry far.

"I will announce my presence with authority!"

Nice Bull Durham reference.

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 1 hour 51 min ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 3 hours 3 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 5 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 7 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 3 hours 9 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 3 hours 17 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 19 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

• Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 5 hours 59 sec ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?