50-Game Mark TCR Reader Survey: Question 4

How optimistic do you feel toward the remaining 2009 Chicago Cubs' season?

Comments

Chicago Tribune says Z missed the team flight to Atlanta and got chewed out by Lou when he did arrive.

Sullivan, who really seems to dislike many Cubs players on a personal level and takes pot shots at them instead of just reporting facts, added:

"This isn't the first time Zambrano has ignored team rules, but the Cubs appear to be wearying of his act. He's expected to be fined for this latest incident, and may be asked to apologize to his teammates as well."

Luis Vizcaino was cut supposedly because of not following team rules. Seems like there might be a problem of this stuff. Is this Lou starting to lose the team some?

Oh yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have Vizcaino and his 1.54 ERA in the bullpen right about now? Nah, I would rather have Patton and his big 4.2 IP in the past month rotting on the bench.

I don't miss Vizcaino at all, saw him gag up two games on ESPN this year. But, I'd like a real live 25th guy on the roster rather than Patton. His stuff better be the best since Bob Gibson, that's the only reason to keep a single A player hidden on your 25 man.

A lot of Cub players are disliked by the writers. This apparently is not a likeable team. I've seen at least three writers (including Sullivan) say the 07 and 08 Cubs were much easier to work with, since they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up and dealt with the scribes on a regular basis, whether they were going good or bad. While this team has a few such players (like Lilly and Dempster), from what I can tell most of them are uncooperative.

"they had guys like Wood and Howry who stood up"

Actually, according to Bruce Miles it was MARK DEROSA who regularly talked to the media and gave his teammates cover.

Who cares?

I don't want players that talk nicely with the media. I want players who perform on the field.

wow he may have to apoligize to teammates how bout he throws
a four hitter gives up, one run and pitches nine innings so we dont have to look at our bullshit bullpen on thursday.

if lou called him into the office i would hope he wasnt the only one.

cubs best pitcher= randy wells

I went with somewhat optimistic manly because I feel the Brewers and Cardinals are playing over their heads still. I mean we have played as crappy as we have and were still only 4 games back of a playoff spot.

i agree whole-heartedly with your first sentence, and voted the same way.
i shall now live in terror that the challenge you have thrown at the cubs with your second sentence will be answered with: "you folks ain't seen nuthin' yet".

I think SOME Cards and Brewers and Reds are playing over their heads. I feel somewhat optimistic because I think they have a lot of holes in their teams, just like the Cubs. St. Louis starters, Brewers defense and Manny Parra, Reds offense are all problems. What bugs me is that come trade deadline, two of those three will do something about it. Hendry can't, unless it's a dollar for dollar thing. I think dreams of Peavy/Halladay/anyone worth anything are just that - dreams.

Don't look back, someone may be chasing you

--attributed to Satchel Paige

I'm not too optimistic about the rest of the season, and here's why -

If the Cubs want to match what they did last year during the regular season, they'd have to go 72-40 the rest of the way. Yeah right.

Granted, they might not have to match 97 wins, but it looks like the NL Central is a pretty tough division, despite once again getting absolutely no respect during the preseason.

Stealing Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez during the Pads' fire sale would certainly boost my morale though...

As long as Gregg is the closer, I can't feel optimistic.

He thinks he has a Billy Wagner fastball, as evidenced by last night -- "I will announce my presence with authority!". Flat, 93 mph fastballs over the middle of the plate get hit berry, berry far.

"I will announce my presence with authority!"

Nice Bull Durham reference.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 29 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 30 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 31 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 50 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 4 hours 8 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 43 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 57 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 33 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.