Cubs & Giants Split at Fitch
The EXST Cubs and EXST Giants split a simultaneous doubleheader played at Fitch Park this morning, one game on Field #1 and one game on Field #3. Both games went seven innings.
Unfortunately, I watched the game that was played on Field #3, and that was the one the Cubs lost 9-1.
I don't have much information about the game played on Field #1, other than the Cubs won, Cedric Redmond threw one shutout inning, Josh Lansford Gian Guzman, and a 4th pitcher threw two effective innings each, Chris Weimer blasted a HR, Robert Bautista hit an inside-the-park HR, and Jae-Hoon Ha smacked a triple over the centerfielder's head.
In the game played on Field #3, three of the four Cubs pitchers struggled, and the only Cubs run scored on a bases-loaded walk, while the Cubs could not score after loading the bases with one out in one inning, and with runners at 1st & 3rd and one out in another inning.
Also, catcher John Contreras had a really bad day defensively. (Contreras was converted to catcher at Minor League Camp, and although he also still plays 3B and 1B on occasion, he's really a DH who is dangerous no matter what position he plays in the field). .
The (good) defensive play of the day on Field #3 was shortstop Dwayne Kemp's spectacular diving stop & throw from behind 2nd base, cutting down the batter 6-3. Kemp has shown he has the range and arm to play SS and 3B in addition 2B (his "natural" position), and he can play LF, too (he played there some last season), which means the Cubs could move Kemp up to Peoria if they decide to promote "supersub" IF-OF Josh Harrison to Daytona at some point in the near future.
Here is the abridged box score from the game played on Field #3 (Cubs players only)
SPLIT SQUAD - FIELD #3
1. Hak-Ju Lee, DH: 0-4 (K, 1-2 FC, E-4, 1-6 FC)
2. Dwayne Kemp, SS: 1-4 (1B, 5-4 FC, 6-3, K)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, F-8, 1-3)
4. John Contreras, C: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, F-8)
5. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6)
6. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-3 (1B, 6-4-3 GIDP, 1B + 1 R)
7. Kevin Soto, CF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
8. George Matheus, 3B: 0-2 (BB, F-9, 3-1)
9. Sean Williams, RF: 0-1 (BB, 3-U, BB + 1 RBI)
1. Cody Hams - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GO/FO
2. Adam Spencer - 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 4/1 GO/FO
3. George Pineda - 0.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3 WP, 1 BALK
4. Rogelio Carmona - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO
1. 2B Matt Cerda - errant throw to 1st base, allowing runner to reach base safely, eventually leading to unearned run scoring.
2. 1B Sean Hoorelbeke - attempted pick-off throw bounced off glove and into right-field foul territory, allowing runner to advance to 3rd base.
John Contreras: 0-3 CS, 3 PB
By the way in relation to the zany suits Madden was saying his other reason for forcing players to wear them in public is to cause some awkwardness and embarrassment in the players that they'd have to overcome. He said he feels this ability might players when they screw up in the game recover more quickly. Not sure if it will but he definitely thinks about the things he does.
Brutal. Pirates load the bases with 0 outs and fail to push any runners across. After two tough games, that really has to suck the wind out of them. Man...
Bases loaded no outs
Lester pitches out of it
Most excellent! MTFBWY!
Btw Star Wars Day, May the Fourth
/found on twitter
Rizzo almost killed McCutchen with a line drive to center.
Don't agree with you, but an interesting discussion. I find this thinking limiting and not in-tune with the latest brain and physiology research. The fact is we use only a tiny fraction of our capacity, and if one can increase motor function along with brain capacity you achieve greater flexibility and value of the (player) asset. For the club's and player's benefit.
Oh, no. "Now the benchmark is quickly shifting to whether they [the Cubs] can become one of the best teams in baseball history."
Lester should try that for pickoff throws.
any other unemployed on parrot chat?
Please be Noah Syndergaard and Andrew McCutchen...
Joking. I really like Andrew McCutchen. ...
Wow -- no Soler today, despite begin short of OF. As Baez's star rises, Jorge's has dimmed considerably.
"OTL: More PED busts coming from Major League Baseball"
Don't be a Cub, don't be a Cub, don't be a Cub!!!
Sorry typing too fast.