I'm Just A Fuzz Machine & I Don't Work For Nobody But You...
No official word yet as to whether or not the mysterious "fuzz machine" made the trip from Des Moines to Chicago along with Von [when there's somethin' wrong in the neighborhood who you gonna call?] Joshua. The unorthodox device is a pitching machine contraption that somehow both accelerates and decelerates a batter's swing, according to Carrie Muskat's expose earlier in the season. If Joshua couldn't get it through security at Des Moines International he may have just rented a car, thrown it in the trunk and headed east.
The Sun-Times has a piece this morning about "three Cubs to watch." In that spirit, here are three I-Cubs who currently bear a little closer watching:
1. Kevin Hart - Since moving from the bullpen, where he was struggling early in the year, to the Iowa rotation, Hart has found his groove. In five starts he's compiled a 1.38 ERA, a .128 BAA while permitting only 11 hits in 26 innings. He starts tonight in Oklahoma [kiss of death; watch him get hammered]. Remember; we got him for Fast Freddie Bynum...
2. J.R. Mathes - The old reliable of the staff has walked only 6 in 61 innings pitched this year while notching seven wins.
3. Sam Fuld - After a slow start, Fuld is hitting at a .419 clip in June. He's second in the PCL with 8 triples and has stolen 15 bases in 18 tries. The lefty-swinging Fuld is hitting .301 against southpaws; only .256 when facing right-handers.
Samardzija dropped to 3-3 in yesterday's 5-1 loss to the Redhawks. The game was scoreless into the bottom of the 5th when he was reached for four runs.
Jake Fox wasn't in the lineup. He may still have been catching his breath after legging out his 3rd triple of the year on Sunday.
Finally, fuzz machine notwithstanding, Joshua leaves behind a team whose three homers in the month of June rank last in the PCL...MW
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.