Gameday Open Thread/ A's @ Cubs

The Cubs announced their second round of roster cuts, trimming the roster by seven. Pitchers Jeff Samardzija, Ed Campusano, Juan Mateo were sent to the minors and Shingo Takatsu was released. Jake Fox, Luis Figueroa and JD Closser were the position players sent to minor league camp.

Today at HoHoKam, Carlos Zambrano takes the mound versus the Athetics, who will send out lefty Greg Smith to start.

Comments

I wonder if Greg Smith's real first name is Gaylord?

Nope, but his middle name is Cesar.

Shingo - no more?

Is there some way to find or get a list of who is all currently at the big league camp right now (i.e. who's all eligible to play in the spring training games), after the cuts made?

anyone can still play, they often grab players from minor league camp when needed.

But there's officially 42 in camp right now.

The NRI's still in camp are:

POSITION PLAYERS

Everyone on the 40-man roster is still in camp EXCEPT:

Jake Fox
Jeff Samardzija
Adam Harben
Juan Mateo
Billy Petrick

How have they not cut Walrond yet...

Off topic a bit but has anyone referenced an Eggman/Walrond joke yet?

Coo coo coo choo?

Chad -- it's "Goo goo ga joob" -- per the lyrics printed on the inner sleeve of the Beatles LP 1967-1970.

ok, but can i claim the first eggman/walrond joke?

I hate being so very 3/44.

Fine by me. I don't recall any others. Stake your claim.

says Giants are shopping just about everybody including Rajai Davis and Randy Winn.

Looks like we're starting all of our regulars for the first time this spring. Except our CF with the nutsack problem, of course.

Soriano 7
Theriot 6
F-Bomb 9
Lee 3
Ramirez 5
DeRosa 4
Soto 2
Fuld 8
Z 1

Soriano makes bad defensive play diving for ball (according to A's announcer), but recovers by throwing out the A's runner going for a triple. Then Fuld makes an amazing diving catch in left center (according to A's announcer). 2 good...1 bad, i guess we will take it.

Soriano thrown out trying to steal...we should trade him.

I'm gonna hang out in parachat with the MLB.com radio broadcast...

K-Fuk K's...send him back to Japan...BOOO!!! :)

They've figured out how to measure "heart".

Cubs 2nd most heartless team over the last 5 years.

Bullshit!

People who get hurt are lacking in the heart department?

People who get hurt are lacking in the heart department?

Duh, they have vaginas too...so I've been told.

But we find that the play Damn Yankees was wrong.

The teams at the top of the heart-o-matic chart didn't go to the playoffs (angels excluded) and for the most part, sucked. White Sox, Marlins, Cardinals.

But the teams at the top of the lack-of-heart-o-matic went to the playoffs and one even won the World Series.

So i guess the play Damn Yankees was wrong when the told us that "You gotta have heart!"

They lied to us...in song!

that's weird.

april 1st is 3 and 1/2 weeks away.

Ah, I see. Kerry Wood...that pussy. So heartless.

I bet folks who chose him over Marmol or Wood for their fantasy teams are pretty pissed right now...

pretty much sums up my feelings

Rob G. 56 min 37 sec ago view
  • You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 1 hour 24 sec ago view
  • Cards lose!

billybucks 1 hour 7 min ago view

The E-Man 1 hour 19 min ago view

Arizona Phil 1 hour 26 min ago view

billybucks 1 hour 33 min ago view

Rob G. 1 hour 56 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

Charlie 3 hours 18 sec ago view
  • obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

Rob G. 3 hours 22 sec ago view
  • Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.