Game 91 Recap: Cubs 1, Phillies 10
S - Chad Durbin (1)
- Rodrigo Lopez (hah!) gets Fukudome to line out sharply to center field.
- Theriot walks. Gets a lot of attention from Lopez (hehehheeeee, too rich) at first.
- Lee gets jammed and bloops one into center, but Victorino gets there for a nice sliding catch. Theriot goes half-way, gets back safely.
- Fastball inside, Ramirez rolls out to Feliz, 5-3.
- 3-0 count to start Rollins. Lilly gets an 86 mph fastball on the inside corner, 3-1. Next fastball down the middle, Rollins lines it over Lilly's head for a single.
- Victorino lines one between a drawn-in, diving Ramirez and the third base bag, double. Rollins to third.
- 2-0 to Utley, who takes a surprisingly pathetic swing and misses an 88 mph fastball. Brenly wants Lilly to try it again, I wouldn't tempt fate twice. Ball, 3-1 to Utley. Ohh boy.
- Utley smacks one down the first base line, but Lee makes a nice snag on a one-hopper, sort of going to one knee and spinning as he catches it behind his body. Runners hold, and he steps on first.
- 2-2 to Howard, missing high with a curve. Lilly doesn't look comfortable out there. Fastball doesn't have much zip, not good command of the curve or the fastball, and taking his time.
- Howard K's on an 84 mph.... something..... up in the zone. I think it was a fastball, which is alarming.
- Fastball looking, then slider swinging, for a 1-2 count to Ibanez. Fastball just off the outside corner, suddenly hitting 93 on the gun. Nice pitch, fooled Ibanez, didn't get the call. Probably off the plate.
- And, in a sad bit of Cubbery, Ibanez then takes a fastball that was supposed to be on the outside corner and got too much of the plate, and hits it out to dead-center for a three run homer. 0-3 Phillies
- Werth K's swinging on a change
- Momma Trans on the phone, picks a good half inning to call as Hoffpauir, Soriano and Fontenot quickly ground out to second, third and second, respectively.
- Full count, Feliz walks.
- Carlos Ruiz up, gets a 1-2 fastball, I think, up and over the middle of the plate. Feliz hits it way out to left field. 0-5 Phillies
- Lopez K's swinging.
- 0-2 to Rollins, K's swinging at..... something.... ugly, offspeed, high and outside. Missed its mark by 2 feet.
- Victornio slashes a single to center.
- Victorino runs, and seems to be safe as the short-hop causes Theriot's glove to come up before he can bring it back down for the tag. But from there Victorino overslides the bag, and tries to sneak back in to second, darting out of the way of Theriot's tag, but is called out. Ump said Victorino left the base path, wiggling around Theriot towards the outfield. Victorino candidly expresses his displeasure with this call. Pretty iffy call.
- Hill hits a soft liner to Utley's right, he makes a nice running leap to catch it.
- Lilly hits it hard, but lines out to center.
- Fukudome lines into right, and rounding the bag just modestly, Werth throws behind him to Howard and nearly gets the out.
- full count to Theriot, walks.
- 3-2 to Lee, K's swinging at an outside slider.
- Utley with an easy liner to Fontenot
- Howard K's swinging, Ibanez with a lazy grounder to Ramirez, inning over.
- Ramirez walks. 2-2 count to Hoffpauir, hits a lazy fly to center.
- Soriano hits a one-hopper right at Rollins. It takes a bizarre big hop, and Rollins totally wiffs at it. A very, very generous "hit."
- Fontenot then drives one just short of the warning track, and Ibanez catches Ramirez jogging back to 2nd and nearly picks him off.
- Hill K's looking.
- 3-1 to Werth, fastball down the middle, fouls it off. Good battle at 3-2, finally walks.
- Ick. Feliz hits a soft fly to left-center. Fukudome and Soriano both have a run to get there, but either could have caught it. Instead, each sort of peels off for the other, and it lands between them. Runners at 1 and 2.
- Slider that gets the center of the plate, Ruiz dumps it downt he left field corner for a double, Feliz to third. 0-6 Phillies.
- Lopez, who I ought to stop laughing at, strikes out
- Rollins flies down the right field line, where Hoffpauir makes a nice running catch near the stands. Werth scores, Ruiz to third, 0-7 Phillies. Another pitch that was supposed to be in and floated over the plate.
- Victorino hits a lazy fly into left-center. Soriano has to run for it, gets there in plenty of time, and just misses it. Hits off the heel of the glove. Brenly yells "IT'S BASEBALL, CATCH IT!" Ruiz scores on the error. 0-8 Phillies
- Utley singles into right, scoring victorino, but is out trying to advance to second. Inning mercifully ends at 0-9 Phillies.
- Blanco in to hit for Lilly. He drives one into the left-center alley, just barely making it into second as Victorino did a nice job of getting over there to cut it off.
- Fukudome grounds to Utley, advancing Blanco.
- Theriot with the old inside-out swing to hit one just right of center, single. Scores Blanco. 1-9 Phillies
- Lee with a shallow fly out to Ibanez
- Rodrigo F'ing Lopez K's Ramirez swinging at a fastball.
- Stevens in for long-relief, K's howeard, then gets Ibanez to pop softly to Fontenot. Nice work for the righty against two tough lefties.
- Werth pops to Lee, just in front of the Cubs' visitors dugout. Very nice work by Stevens.
- Hoffpauir pops foul, behind third base. Feliz makes the easy catch.
- Soriano with a soft blooper into shallow left-center for a single.
- Fontenot K's swinging.
- As does Hill. Suddenly Lopez is making the Cubs look foolish. No, wait, that's the Cubs doing that.
- Feliz gets jammed, hits a little pop-floater out to Blanco who is playing shortstop, and oddly makes a leap to catch a ball that could have been caught flat-footed
- and Ruiz with a much more conventionally-fielded ground ball to Blanco.
- Mercifully, Greg Dobbs comes in to hit for Lopez. Out after 97 pitches. Weakly bounces one back to Stevens for the 1-3 putout. Very nice long-relief so far.
- Chad Durbin in. Blanco hits a soft hopper up the middle, Rollins comes across second and fires to first, just getting Blanco
- Fukudome with a soft pop out to Rollins.
- I must have missed the double-switch, as with Blanco in for Theriot, Blanco is now hitting 9th, pitcher's spot second. Fox in to pinch-hit for Stevens, and hits a routine grounder to Rollins, ending the inning
- Heilman in,Hoffpauir to 1st, Lee out, Fox to Right. Heilman now hitting third, Fox second.
- Rollins with an easy fly to shallow left, Soriano catches it. Phillies fans in left field give him a sarcastic standing ovation.
- and Victorino hits one to Soriano, he makes a running, hopping catch. Stares back at the fans afterwards, it was a pretty big, dramatic hop he made for the catch.
- Bruntlett pinch hits for Utley, K's on a slider in the dirt, throw on to first to finish it. Good relief work tonight, at least.
- Baker hits for Heilman, K's swinging
- Ramirez fouls out to Ruiz, right behind home plate.
- Hoffpauir bounces out to Howard, unassisted.
- Guzman in, and Howard demolishes a fastball up and on the outer halffor an opposite field HR. 1-10 Phillies
- Ibanez K's swinging at a high fastball.
- Werth gets out in front of one and hits it over the foul pole. Called a foul. Barely. Impressive
- Guzman then K's him swinging at a high fastball. Hill seems to have thought it was the third out, and was walking toward the dugout. Good Grief.
- Feliz chops one toward the hole by short. Blanco charges in for it, double-clutches, and the throw makes Hoffpauir leap, with Feliz called safe. May have been out. Error on Blanco.
- Makes up for it when Ruiz chops one off the plate and Blanco comes in, lunges, bare-hands the ball and fires to first for the out.
- Durbin trying for the three-inning save.
- John Mayberry in right, and Soriano singles to him
- Fontenot K's swinging.
- Hill puts us out of our misery, grounding into a tailor-made 6-4-3. Do tailors still make those, or is it all Chinese sweat-shops, now?
- "Start Typing Here" joke pre-dates Jesus. It's 3/44 B.C.
- SJS wants to check inon the TCR Season Guessing Contest spreadsheet. So there it is, again, folks. Check how you're doing.
- Tomorrow's matchups.
- The miseries of Rob's job.
- Amtrak. train travels
- My addictive personality.
- Running after drinking.
- Ice Cream Trucks from the 1950s Waving Hello to Dad.
- The weird Utley swing.
- Groaning at the Ibanez homer, wondering why Fukudome was playing so far in.
- "Is Mr. Opportunity, the cartoon guy on the Honda Commercials, the animated brother of Ryan Seacrest?" - SJS
- Rob accidentally watches original footage of helicopter accidents decapitating small children.
- I share the health-report on Momma Trans. Not so good.
- WTF is Pedobear? And would YOU let your kid have a Pedobear?
- I don't care what Rodney_King thinks, Rodney King humor is old. And not in the funny Norm Macdonald still doing jokes about OJ sort of way.
- How many runs will win this game?
- Those sorry Nationals
- the Victorino call.
- More on that bad Victorino baseline call.yikes
- I flip out on.. I'm not sure... But Whip got hit as a result, and all Parachat suffered. Bad Trans. Bad. You go to the corner and think about all the Curriculum and Instruction coffee-shop grad. students whose feelings you've hurt, you bastard.
- European philosophers who I hate.
- Jesus Christ.
- Fart Sounds.
- More european philosophers
- If the Cubs played on Mars.
- (Transmission would like to apologize for not doing justice to this inning of Parachat. The Bacon-Jesus-Fart-Penis-Philosopher-Mars combination deserved better, but like the Cubs, I kind of stunk up the joint tonight.)
- How Bad Are We? (About as bad as this recap.)
- Best Invention Ever?
- What have the Romans ever done for us?
- Orel Report, Moral Orel
- If Jesus were a real zombie, he'd have eaten more brains after he returned.
- Whip threatens to deconstruct me.
- Bring it, sucker.
- Baseball should only use two stats: _____ and______
- Whip and Crunch waste space. Lots of it. Were I to attempt to recap it, it'd look something like
- This. Then with bad ascii of obscure cartoon characters who once terrorized boston.
- Koyie Hill would be so much better if he ____________ (question courtesy of big_L)
- The Koyie Hill Catcher Era
- "This game needs more giant robots chasing megan fox" - Paul_Noce.
- No one can quit Rob.
- No one.
- Nope, not even you.
- No one.
- Letters of Resignation
- True Cubs Fans
- Is Soriano show-boating on that catch, to bait the Phillies fans?
- Whip posts a couple of links to banned German commercials for Sprite that probably epitomize a large chunk of the Parachat culture.
- So what does it say that I don't think I want to link to them in the recap?
- There. We said it. GENO'S IS OVER-RATED. Let's all just move on. Thank you, Crunch.
- Asian Rednecks.
- Tour-guide to Madison
- Assessing Nelson Cruz
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.