Trade Deadline Eve

The rumor talk hasn't grown much louder than a whisper so far for the Cubs, a few names sprinkled here or there, but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves.

Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports says the Cubs prefer lefty reliever John Grabow of the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Nationals Joe Beimel. Neither one seems like much of a choice to me as a LOOGY though. Grabow has struck out 8.1 batters per nine innings(7.8 on the season) compared to Beimel and his 5.1 career K/9 (5.4 on the season).  Over his career, Grabow doesn't show much of a difference versus lefties or righties (.742 OPS vs RH, .723 vs. LH).) Beimel for his career has a .721 OPS against versus lefties, .785 versus righties. As for this season, Beimel does a better job of keeping people off base with a 1.33 WHIP compared to Grabow's 1.50 WHIP. Beimel has a .714 OPS against versus righties, .705 versus lefties this season while Grabow has shown a reverse split of .702 versus righties, .715 versus lefties.

Grabow features a low 90's fastball with a change and slider, and tends to give up the flyball over the grounder (at least the last 2 seasons). Beimel keeps the ball on the ground usually(not so much this year) with a fastball in the mid 80's along with a change and curve as well.

Considering Marmol, Gregg, Marshall and Guzman all have OPS against as good or significantly better than either of them, I'm not sure this is much of an improvement for the team, although removing Jeff Samardzija or Aaron Heilman from the roster wouldn't be that bad. Grabow is a free agent after the season and would be a Type A free agent most likely, according to MLBTR.

The other rumor from Wittenmyer is that the Cubs continue in their perpetual search for a left-handed hitting right fielder with Jeremy Hermida and Mark Teahen mentioned.

Comments

"...but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves."

I said this in April. And was scoffed at by some, including The Real Neal. HA! Who is "right now", Mr.! lol

Yes, I want a medal.

It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan.

The whole Zell bullshit really hurts all fans and season ticket holders, as Hendry will not be able to really "make the team better" during a competitive season. But he could care less.

What you said is there wouldn't be any money for big moves. What I said was that you were making assumptions. I was correct. Hah!

"It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan"

The $ 50 million more we spent then the Cardinals should not have Cubs in position to pick "real talent"

But he could care less. - (Zell)

SI's Jon Heyman mini post on Grabow to Cubs possibilities

Maybe part of the reason the Cubs haven't had more than whispers is that they will still be able to make their trades after the "deadline" because they are the sort of trades that will make it through the waiver process (which I know nothing about)?

Cubs traded Hart...

that's HART for the hard of hearing

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 4 hours 7 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 4 hours 32 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.