TCR Friday Notes
I'll ease back into TCR with some links...
- Geovany Soto will be back in the lineup tonight just in
time for some Coors Field inflated hitting. Way to pick your spots
- A rather crucial 7-game swing here for the Cubs...4 at Colorado and then 3 at home versus Philly. The Rockies are a game behind the Giants in the wild card and one ahead of the Cubs. Pitching matchups for this weekend are: Zambrano vs U. Jimenez (3.76 ERA), Dempster vs. Marquis (3.49), Wells vs. Hammell (4.62) and Gorzelanny vs. De La Rosa (5.00 ERA, although 5-0 with a 2.50 ERA in July, but then got crushed in his first August start against Philly).
- Here's a great Dusty-ism, except it's from Hendry.
"I can't say enough about Hill," general manager Jim Hendry said. "He really saved us."
- Carlos Marmol leads all of baseball with a 8.48 BB/9 rate and at least 50 innings pitched (52 currently). I went back to 1995 and only found 2 other instances of a walk rate above 8 per nine innings and at least 50 innings pitched, John Rocker in 2000 (53 IP) and Stephen Randolph in 2004 (81.2 IP). Not a good career choice for Marmol...
When I think of control-challenged relievers that played for the Cubs, my mind always wanders to Mitch Williams. His career worst (using the 50 IP cut-off) was 7.79 BB/9 in 108.1 IP for the Rangers in 1987. In his 2 years with the Cubs, he walked 5.84 in 1989 (a career best) and 6.78 per nine innings.
- The Cubs signed their 6th round pick, LHP Brooks Raley to a $750K bonus, and inked their first 12 picks to date. The deadline is August 17th.
- Julio Castillo, the Cub farmhand that was indicted for throwing at a fan during a brawl last year, ended up getting 30 days of jail time and three years probation. As far as I know, he's still a member of the Cubs organization, although I'm sure Arizona Phil would know better.
- Kevin Hart made his first start for the Pirates last night, going 6 innings and giving up 3 runs, 1 BB, 9 H, and 5 K's.
- Chad Gaudin has been traded from the Padres to the New York Yankees for a player to be named later...he could replace another ex-Cub in Sergio Mitre in the rotation.
Theo was trying to clear the mess that Hendr left
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.