Jackson Sets Pace Among Cubs 2009 Draft Picks
The Deadline for signing players selected in this past June's Rule 4 Draft ("1st-Year Player Draft") has passed, and the Cubs ended up signing 31 of their 50 picks (including their top 12 picks, and 14 of their top 15), although two of the players they signed (17th round pick RHP B. J. Dail and 23rd round pick OF Jeffrey Pruitt) had their contracts voided last month and are now free-agents.
The Cubs also signed two Non-Drafted Free-Agents (NDFA), but one (LHP Daley Cox) has already been released.
There is no deadline for signing college seniors who have exhausted their eligibilty, but the Cubs signed all of the college seniors they drafted this year.
Of the 29 '09 draftees (plus one NDFA) signed by the Cubs who are still in the organization, 1st round pick CF Brett Jackson (Cal) has had the most-impressive pro debut, hitting 328/427/480 with 6 HR & 34 RBI and 13 SB (2 CS) in 50 games at three stops (AZL Cubs, Boise, and Peoria). 2nd round pick INF D. J. LeMahieu (LSU) has also performed very well, hitting 322/370/391 (combined) at AZL Cubs and Peoria (although where he will ultimately end up defensively is yet TBD), and 4th round pick LHP Chris Rusin (Kentucky) has had a nice debut (2.67 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP with a 8/24 BB/K in 27 IP combined at AZL Cubs and Boise).
A couple of JC guys are flying under the radar and could be steals. 32nd round pick RHP Trey McNutt (Shelton State CC) has an array of quality stuff and looks like he could start or relieve, and 38th round pick Bobby Wagner (a Canadian kid who played JC ball at Panola, TX) is a power-hitting lefty-swinger with a definite HR stroke who was drafted as a 3B, but was moved to LF at Fitch Park.
Jackson, LeMahieu, and Rusin appear to be the most advanced of the 2009 draft picks, and I would think that (barring injury) all three will likely open the 2010 season at Daytona.
2009 RULE 4 DRAFT
NOTE: click on player's name for current minor league stats
1. Brett Jackson, OF (Cal) - at PEORIA
2. D. J. LeMahieu, INF (LSU) - at PEORIA
3. Austin Kirk, LHP (Owasso HS - Owasso, OK) - at AZL Cubs
4. Chris Rusin, LHP (Kentucky) - at BOISE
5. Wes Darvill, SS (Langley, BC) - at AZL Cubs
6. Brooks Raley, LHP (Texas A&M) - at AZL Cubs
7. Blair Springfield, IF-OF (MacArthur HS – Decatur, IL) - at AZL Cubs
8. Robert Whitenack, RHP (SUNY – Old Westbury) - at BOISE
9. Richard Jones, C (The Citadel) - at BOISE
10. Charles Thomas, 3B-1B (Edward Waters College) - at AZL Cubs
11. John Mincone, LHP (Suffolk CC – West) - AZL Cubs 60-day DL
12. Runey Davis, OF (Howard JC) - at BOISE
14. Danny Keefe, RHP (U. of Tampa) - at BOISE
15. Cody Shields, OF (Auburn U. – Montgomery) - AZL Cubs 60-day DL (TJS)
18. Matt Williams, C (Duke) - at BOISE
19. Sergio Burruel, C-1B (Trevor Browne HS - Phoenix, AZ) - at AZL Cubs
21. Greg Rohan, 1B-3B (Kent State) - at BOISE
22. D. J. Fitzgerald, INF (Dyersburg State CC) - at BOISE
25. Justin Bour, 1B (George Mason) - at BOISE
26. Steve Grife, RHP (Mercyhurst College) - at AZL Cubs
27. Corey Martin, RHP (Western Carolina) - at BOISE
28. Jordan Petraitis, 3B (Miami U. of Ohio) - at AZL Cubs
29. Tim Clubb, RHP (Missouri State) - at AZL Cubs
32. Trey McNutt, RHP (Shelton State CC) - at BOISE
36. Brandon May, IF-OF (Alabama) - at AZL Cubs
38. Bobby Wagner, OF (Panola JC) - at BOISE
39. Nick Struck, RHP (Mt. Hood JC) - NOT ASSIGNED YET
41. Jake Schmidt, RHP (Concordia U. – St. Paul) - at AZL Cubs
46. Glenn Cook, OF (U. of Miami) - at AZL Cubs
2009 Non-Drafted Free-Agents (NDFA) SIGNED:
SIGNED - CONTRACT SUBSEQUENTLY VOIDED:
17. B. J. Dail, RHP (Mt. Olive College)
23. Jeffrey Pruitt, OF (Cal State – Northridge)
THE 19 WHO GOT AWAY (deadline was August 17th):
13. Chad Taylor, SS-RHP (Jefferson HS – Tampa, FL) - signed NLI with U. of South Florida
16. Keenyn Walker, OF (Judge Memorial Catholic HS – Salt Lake City) - signed NLI with Central Arizona JC
20. Eric Erickson, LHP (U. of Miami) - JR (rehabbing from TJS)
24. Gerardo Esquivel, RHP (De La Salle Institute – Chicago, IL) - signed NLI with Kansas State
30. Daniel Sheppard, C (Downers Grove North HS – Downers Grove, IL) - signed NLI with U. of Iowa
31. Andrew Clark, 1B (U. of Louisville) - JR
33. John Lambert, LHP (NC State) - JR
34. Rett Varner, RHP-OF (UT – Arlington) - JR
35. Kevin David, C (Oklahoma State) - draft eligible SOPH
37. Peter Mooney, SS (Palm Beach CC) - JC FRESH
40. Eric Whaley, RHP (Cardinal Gibbons HS – Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - signed NLI with LSU
42. Trey Ford, SS (Chaparral HS – Scottsdale, AZ) - signed NLI with Chandler-Gilbert CC
43. Colin Kaepernick, RHP (U. of Nevada) - JR
44. Frank DeJiulio, RHP (Daytona State CC) - JC FRESH
45. Addison Dunn, RHP (Warren Area HS – Warren, PA) – signed NLI with Kent State
47. Joey Jocketty, 3B (Ladue Horton Watkins HS – St. Louis, MO) - will attend Mami U. of Ohio
48. John Nasshan, RHP (Niles West HS – Skokie, IL) - signed NLI with Bradley U.
49. Christian Segar, OF (McQuaid Jesuit HS – Brighton, NY) - signed NLI with Bradley U.
50. Zach Cleveland, RHP (Central Arizona JC) - JC SOPH (will transfer to U. of New Mexico)
Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 8th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.
Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well (9th), Zobrist with a 2.7 (14th).
M. Carpenter leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.
@jonahkeri Joe Maddon living out Joe Maddon fanfic IRL tonight
yes. I was at the Sean Marshall game in LF. Lou Piniella was managing. StL won 4-2, so I guess it didn't help but it was zany. Soriano/Reed Johnson and Marshall were the LF's.
On a 6 degrees of separation note: Cubs got Travis Wood in the trade that sent Sean Marshall to Cincy.
Make that 1-7, 4 RBI.
i like how strop played LF with his "crooked cap" look...that's not just for the mound.
let baez pitch the 15th, he earned it.
Forget the save, finally Javier!!
Can a pitcher get more than one hold in a game? Or a Win and a save?
Didn't they do this sort of thing with Sean Marshall years back? Sticking him in LF to save him to face others, but without a pitcher replacing him in LF.
This is the most beautiful thing ever.
all i wanna know is...when's d.ross gonna pitch?
Maddon is over-managing the shit out of this game.
i was a bit more confused why the guy who gave up a HR to votto last night was facing him with 2 men on.
...now that wood is coming in to pitch the following inning, the whole thing gets weirder. so like, okay.
Javy 0-6. At least he's consistent.
What's with the Travis Wood stuff? Is it because he pitched the last 2 games?