Back from the Dark Ages
I'm back to being connected to the Internet world, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. While I certainly do miss whatever brilliant, well-crafted snark is coming from the comments, it was kind of nice to be untethered from the digital world.
As for the weekend, the Cubs pulled out 2 of 3 wins from the New York Mets - and with the Rockies getting swept - sneak to 5.5 back in the Wild Card. Important thing to remember here is they managed to score one run versus Nelson Figueroa and couldn't sweep a team missing David Wright, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Johan Santana, Oliver Perez, John Maine, or J.J Putz. Zambrano, who seems to be getting advice from Alfonso Soriano on how to play with injuries and hurt your team, got lit up for 11 hits and 3 earned runs and couldn't make it out of the 4th against the Buffalo Bisons lineup. Color me unimpressed...
The Astros show up tonight and Michael Barrett's favorite ace takes the mound - Roy Oswalt. The Cubs counter with Rich Harden, who along with Aaron Heilman, did not get traded by today's deadline. I didn't really think the Twins would give up anything to grab Harden, they're just not a team to cough up prospects, but why Aaron Heilman is still wasting space is unfathomable.
Theriot, Bradley, Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome, Fox, Baker, Hill go tonight.
Some minor league and roster move info after the jump...
- Minor league post-season All-Star rosters are being announced. The Cubs didn't place anyone in Triple A, 1b Blake Lalli (787 OPS, 5 HR, 51 RBI...shrug) made the Double A Southern League roster, and C Robinson Chirinos (only played a little over half a season in Hi-A) and SS Starlin Castro made the Hi-A Florida State League team.
- The playoff push continues for the minor league affiliates. Iowa is tied for second with Nashville and they both trail Memphis by a half game. Iowa is riding a 5-game win streak and Nashville and Memphis square off for the next 3 games. The season ends next Monday. Tennessee and W. Tennessee remain tied and play the last 5 games of the year against each other (7 left total). Peoria has already clinched a playoff spot in the Midwest League and can clinch the division with a win tonight.
- Muskat says Iowa will have to win without Micah Hoffpauir, Justin Berg, and Andres Blanco, all of whom will get called up tomorrow when rosters expand. David Patton will join the team on Wednesday. Expect another 3-4 more call-ups as well before the month is over.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.