The Solution

Allyssa Milano says have a happy Labor day holiday.
Just a little rant from me after a game where Soriano left his pants on the left field chalk line. After he did the pretzel dance, I thought that chalk outline was from a CSI scene. Someone should press criminal charges for that effort.Tired ol' Lou Piniella just grunts and shrugs his shoulders. "Ah, ah, ah...Whaddya expect me to do about it?" Clearly he's been beaten into submission by overexposure to Cubbery.

After torturing myself by listening to local sports talk outlets, with the only brief reprieve coming from occasional banter about a meaningless preseason Bears game, I think I've had enough pain to land on my own personal DL. Steve Stone with glee in his voice said, "that's what you get for playing a DH in left field." I get the message. Listening how the Cubs are held hostage to their long term contracts with no end in sight (well it's 3-5 years before we see the end to this tunnel), forcing them to play overpaid, under performing players (Soriano in the role of 40/40 guy and Bradley in the role of rbi machine) or under performing players with a brief track record of performance (Geo Soto, Kevin Gregg, The not-Hanks...Aaron Miles and Heilman) or under performing players without a track record of performance (better when in small doses, Fonte-NOT), it dawned on me that there is a simple solution.

The Disabled List

Use it liberally. Any ache and pain just might get you there unless you're performing. If the medical staff can hide inexpensive David Patton away for months, why not Soriano? After all, we've been reading and hearing whispers about a bum knee for months? They are doing it all wrong. Use the DL (not the bench) as a tool to eradicate the under performers. Really stinky under performance just might earn a slot on the 60 day DL.

If the Mets can put $88M on the DL...using an old "dusty" cliche, "Why not us"?

Sure the Mets had a rotten season. They had as much as $88 million reasons for a dog of a year.

Union grievance be damned. It makes for a play for performance baseball team and I'd love to live with that. In an era where players have no incentive except for the cliche "he's a real pro, a gamer or he's playing with pride" coming at us, I'm tired of reading he'll play hurt even when it hurts the team. Turn that concept around. You hurt the team and we'll find something that's making you hurt...enough to give someone else who's just a bit hungrier a chance to replace you.

Comments

and when they come off the DL...it will be just like making a trade for an all-star

I agree. It's not like Soriano is carrying the team. Sam Fuld/Jake Fox won't do any worse and they'll likely do better. Send Soriano to the DL for the rest of the year.

They've done this before. Here's how it's done:

I use as example the Wade Miller 2007 Experience. I think he was brought in to compete with Prior in spring training and made the club although that was a questionable decision. He had a bad start to the season and although it was unclear he had an injury (back spasms), he was put on the dl and never heard from again.
---
4/23/07 Placed RHP Wade Miller on the 15-day disabled list (back spasms) and recalled RHP Rocky Cherry from Triple-A Iowa.

8/6/07 Placed OF Alfonso Soriano on the 15-day disabled list with a right quad strain; selected INF Eric Patterson from Triple-A Iowa; designated INF Brian Dopirak for assignment; placed RHP Wade Miller on waivers to grant his unconditional release.

3/28/07 Optioned RHP Mark Prior, RHP Rocky Cherry and OF Angel Pagan to Triple-A Iowa.

...on a side note, this is when we got this:

Mark Prior reacted to his demotion to the minors with disappointment, humor and sarcasm. "I'm just an employee," the former 18-game winner said Thursday. "The goal now is to go down and help that team win and try to make the Triple-A All-Star team. Maybe I can get invited to the Futures Game or something. I'm still 26."
---
Wikipedia:

On November 9, 2006, Miller signed an incentive-laden, 1.5 million dollar one-year extension to stay with the Chicago Cubs under new manager Lou Piniella. However, after three unsuccessful starts where he compiled a 10+ ERA, Miller was once again placed on the DL in April 2007. He was placed on waivers granting his unconditional release from the Cubs in August 2007.

• jacos 10 min 51 sec ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

Charlie 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

crunch 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 3 hours 48 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 4 hours 40 sec ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 13 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 17 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 22 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 8 hours 7 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 8 hours 9 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.

• 101 wins...most since 1910 (104).

neat. ...or sad. pick one. pick both. 'murica.

• Just looked up Grimm's stats -- after a great run, he gave up 2 runs vs. MIL then didn't pitch for 10 days. Don't remember why?