TCR Friday Notes
- Chone Figgins loves his Orange County Angels.
"...when you find a home, you want to stay here. I love what this
organization is all about -- winning, playing hard. I love being here."
- The Peoria Chiefs dominated the Midwest League this season to the tune of 81-57, then proceeded to get swept out of the best of 3 playoff series by the Cedar Rapid Kernels (Angels). It's important to have an organizational philosophy that runs through the entire system.
In Game 1, Jovan Rosa hit a game-tying two run home run in the 9th, only to see Peoria lose 6-4 in 10 innings.
In Game 2, the Chiefs led 8-7 heading into the 9th and turned to bonus baby, Chris Huseby. And in spectacular Cubbery fashion, he walked two to lead-off the inning, then got the next two outs, then a wild pitch, another walk to load them up, another walk to tie up the game and a hit-by-pitch to finish off the season. Final line for Huseby on the night: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP.
- As for Tennessee, they played Game 1 last night against Huntsville (Brewers) and were up 2-1 in the 8th when Marcos Mateo served up a 3-run shot to get saddled with the loss. Tyler Colvin hit one out for the Cubs earlier. Casey Coleman takes the mound tonight in Game 2 of the best-of-5 series.
- Gordon Wittenmyer continues his assault on the coveted, "Worst Beat Writer in Sports." Today he blames Bud Selig for the Cubs missing the playoffs and explains how the Colorado Rockies have benefited from interleague play and how if they didn't enjoy that 11-4 record in interleague games, they would still be in first place in the wild card standings. Wait. Check's article. Yup, that's exactly what he demonstrated.
Consider the current NL wild-card standings (before Florida’s late game Thursday night):
Colorado 81-60 —
San Francisco 76-64 4.5
Florida 74-65 6
Cubs 71-67 8.5
Now look what happens when only National League games are included:
Colorado 70-56 —
San Francisco 67-58 2.5
Florida 64-57 3.5
Cubs 65-58 3.5
- Cubs vs. Reds at Wrigley today. Justin "Shutout" Lehr vs. Rich "Farewell Cubs Tour" Harden. I just hope beyond hope that Bobby Scales gets to start another game.
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.
Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.