This is What the Cubs Season Has Been Reduced To...

The St. Louis Cardinals magic number sits at 11 before game play started today. That means there is a slim shot they could be clinching against the Cubs this weekend. And whether they do it this weekend or next week or the last day of the season isn't really a big deal, but I'd rather avoid watching the spectacle and the future highlights. So here's a rundown of what would need to happen this week with the Cubs at Milwaukee for four and Cardinals at Marlins for three.

Cardinals sweep 3 from the Marlins, Cubs get swept by Brewers: Cardinals would need to win 2 of 3 this weekend to clinch

Cardinals sweep 3 from the Marlins, Cubs lose 3 of 4 to Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to win division or 2 of 3 to clinch tie.

Cardinals sweep 3 from the Marlins, Cubs split versus Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to win the division.

Cardinals sweep 3 from the Marlins, Cubs take 3 of 4 from Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to clinch tie for the division.

Cardinals sweep 3 from the Marlins, Cubs sweep or take 3 of 4 from Brewers: Cardinals cannot clinch this weekend.

Cardinals win 2 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs get swept by Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to win division or 2 of 3 to clinch tie.

Cardinals win 2 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs lose 3 of 4 to Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to win the division.

Cardinals win 2 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs split with Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to clinch tie for the division.

Cardinals win 2 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs take 3 of 4 or sweep Brewers: Cardinals cannot clinch this weekend.

Cardinals win 1 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs get swept by Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to win division.

Cardinals win 1 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs lose 3 of 4 to Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to clinch tie for the division.

Cardinals win 1 of 3 from the Marlins, Cubs split, take 3 of 4 or sweep Brewers: Cardinals cannot clinch this weekend.

Cardinals get swept by Marlins, Cubs get swept by Brewers: Cardinals would need sweep to clinch tie for the division.

Cardinals get swept by Marlins, Cubs lose 3 of 4, split, take 3 of 4 or sweep Brewers: Cardinals cannot clinch this weekend.

On the fanciful side, if the Cardinals get swept by the Marlins and the Cubs sweep the Brewers and then the Cardinals next weekend, the Cubs would be just three games back in the NL Central.

- Congrats to the Cubs' Minor League players of the year, Kyler Burke and Casey Coleman. 21-year old Burke was acquired in the Michael Barrett trade in 2007 and after a rough start to his Cubs career, put up a .911 OPS season in Peoria with 15 home runs and 43 doubles. 21-year old Coleman helped lead Tennessee to the Southern League playoffs (where they have reached finals) with a 14-6 mark and a 3.68 ERA in 149 IP (84 K/58 BB). I've started compiling a list of the award at Wiklifield and if anyone can fill-in from 2003 and earlier, I'd appreciate it, even if you just drop it in the comments.

- Dempster tries to become the third Cubs starter to 10 wins this season. He'll have Theriot, Fukudome (RF), Lee, Ramirez, Soto, Fox (LF),  Baker, Fuld (CF) in the lineup to help him.

Comments

yow...wonder how much $$ room the team has if they're just straight up going with marmol. take that valverde.

hope they get another pen arm worth having to back him up...and i'm not counting lefty-marmol, grabes.

....that was the ugliest double play ive seen in forever...

top 7th

It was a beautiful play by Lee, who then tried to run off the field. It took a perfect storm for that tag to be made: a first basemen with the long arms of Lee and a runner with the fat hips of Fielder.

Cubs win 3/4 from Brewers, Cardinals lose 2/3 to Marlins, Cubs Sweep Cards = Cubs are 5 back?

sounds right...

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 6 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 7 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 27 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 44 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 33 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.