TCR Friday Notes and a Call for Help
- Cubbery at its finest:
As Lee and Baker were mobbed by teammates in the dugout, relief pitcher Angel Guzman
slapped the side of Lee's helmet, causing Lee to experience neck spasms
that forced him to come out of the game for defense in the bottom of
- Rich Harden is shutting it down for the year, a mutual decision between him and the club. The tone of the article sounds like there isn't much interest by either party in reuniting beyond this season. Fine by me, but will the Cubs offer arbitration?
- Wittenmyer has a rundown of the Cubs rotation down the stretch.
Fri-Sun @ Giants: Zambrano vs Lincecum tonight, then Gorzelanny and Wells.
Tues-Thurs vs. Pittsburgh: Dempster, Lilly and Z for the doubleheader on Wednesday, then Gorzelanny
Fri-Sun vs. Arizona: Samardzija, Wells and Dempster.
- Fangraphs takes a shot at Tyler Colvin, misrepresenting that he was sent down to start the year, although it was actually because he was still rehabbing his elbow and Daytona uses a DH. Nonetheless I have to agree he's nothing more than a fringe prospect. If they can't get Felix Pie to work out, I don't see Colvin having much of a shot. Fangraphs also ran a piece on some of the recent Korean signings by the Cubs with Hak-Ju Lee leading the way.
- The Cubs sale inches closer to completion with bankruptcy court approving the deal. The Cubs will enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy on October 12th as part of the deal with an approval hearing on October 13th. They hope to have the owners approval by then. According to the Trib article, the first opportunity by the MLB owners to vote will be October 5th.
- Milton's signing is in the running for worst contract of the offseason over at MLBTR.
- Don't forget to join the fun at The Bear Truth, hopefully we can get a crowd for Parachat during the game.
- We're going to be doing a slightly more involved upgrade here at TCR once the season ends and I could use some help testing out the site. If anyone has some time next week to bombard the test site comments and check it out at a scheduled time, let me know. What that time is yet I don't know, but probably near game time of one of the Cubs/Pirates games next week.
- A lot of folks were upset over Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame acceptance speech. It certainly wasn't the most gracious thing I ever heard, but at least it wasn't boring. Name how many Hall of Fame basketball, football or baseball speeches anyone ever remembers? Now granted I'd pay more attention to an MJ speech over most players, but it was indeed memorable and certainly fit the character of the player many of us grew up watching and sadly idolizing. Joe Posnanski and Jason Whitlock have good articles justifying the speech if you're interested.
Why am I writing about the Bulls and MJ? Because this abomination of a Cubs season is still going on. Hell, they made me starts a Bears blog.
14 in attendance. What's the record for attendance in the fall? I guess I should ask what the record attendance listed is in one of your recaps.
I was there too, with my grown son. This is my miracle year-- I rose to the top of the season ticket list after eight years, completely unexpectedly, and my wonderful wife agreed to put the ticket fee on the emergency credit card. The whole point of course was that the Cubs were going to be good this year, and then for a while, so to get season tickets with the guaranteed shot at the postseason was incredible timing. We got to the remote lot at 4:10 after stopping at Nhu Lan for our usual banh mi sandwiches, only to find the lot full, way earlier than normal.
Wrigley was electric tonite
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
I miss Len and JD -- although, driving home from a friend's, WBBM played all 6 HR calls in a row -- and Len got to call the Bryant/Rizzo back-to-back. Very fun.
Lackey has been a beast against us. His stats on 3 days rest, however, not as nice. There is plenty of hope.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
In the wild card game he mentioned that aram started with the Pirates, then played for the Brewers, and now he's back with the Pirates. Uhhhh, missed a step there, guy.
i like ron darling the person, the interview, and the studio desk guy...but him calling a game can lead to some really stupid stuff coming out of his mouth.
If you think these announcers are bad ,the ones doing the Mets vs Dodgers (Ron Darling ,Cal Ripken and someone else)
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
Theo: "So, let's see...should we put Soler on the post-season roster? Ummmm, yeah, I mean what the hell."
Wow -- if he can bring that focus and plate discipline next year -- yowza! Seems like Manny has really helped him.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.