Ricketts Gets the Keys, Spring Training Update and Other Notes
- The Ricketts family are the new official owners of the Chicago Cubs and will have a press conference on Friday. Maybe they'll bring a new GM with them.
"My family and I are thrilled that this day has finally come and
we thank Commissioner Bud Selig and Major League Baseball owners for
approving our ownership," said Tom Ricketts. "Now we will go to work
building the championship tradition that all Cubs fans so richly
- It's hard to tell how much is Chris DeLuca taking educated guesses or basing his column off some sources, but he seems to expect much of the same for the next two years with Ricketts in charge. Certainly don't expect a big jump in payroll (he throws out $143M) and Hendry isn't getting a blank check to rid himself of the Bradley mess.
- Speaking of the sale, Paul Sullivan is as bitter as ever.
Tribune era is
officially over as Ricketts familly takes control of the Cubs. First
order of business: Get rid of Milton Bradley.
- Bruce Miles offers up some free advice for the new boss.
But working against any Florida bid is the lengthy spring travel in
that state -- especially in a location nearly three hours from the
Tampa area -- and a decadelong exodus of teams from Florida that will
put 15 of 30 big-league teams in Arizona next spring for the first time.
And considering the Cubs are the jewel of the Cactus League, the
state's biggest spring-training revenue producer, filling stadiums
across the Phoenix valley and owning almost every league attendance
record, Arizona is especially motivated even in a tough economy to
invest in the team's future there.
- Kerry Wood confirms the racist letters sent to some Cubs players. Stop making that shit up Milton.
- The Daily Beast says 5 of the top 10 richest baseball players including endorsement deals and so forth are Yankees. Competitive balance at its finest.
- Kevin "Tampering" Towers, who I must remind everyone is not the Padres GM anymore, has let it be known that it's just a matter of when the Padres will trade Adrian Gonzalez.
- After missing out on Manny Acta, the Astros have settled on Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills as their new manager.
- I generally scoff at these "this is how to fix the Cubs" articles, because ultimately the writer falls into the trap that there are no limitations and every player in the league is available and they're all dying to play for the Cubs. And while I don't think John Lackey is headed to the Cubs, Hendry's favorite contract toy - the backloaded deal - could possibly net the Cubs one decent free agent this offseason.
- Kevin Goldstein's recent take on Jeff Samardzija:
It's almost remarkable that the Cubs still think Samardzija can be an
effective starter in the big leagues. He's made no secret that he wants
to return to the rotation, but two late-season starts in the majors
were disasters, and now he's merely holding his own in Mexico, allowing
10 runs and 28 baserunners in 18 innings for the Aguilas. Turning 25 in
January, with each passing year, it seems that Samardzija will never
graduate from thrower to pitcher, and for most, his ceiling ends at
I'm not really gonna argue against Samardzija detractors right now, but that's a leap on the definition of a disaster start. (5 IP, 3 ER versus the Brewers in his last appearance of 2009).
- Baseball Intellect takes a look at J.J. Hardy's swing and if he can bounce back in 2010. I still don't see any reasonable scenario that involves the Brewers willing to trade Hardy to the Cubs and the Cubs looking for a shortstop.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.