Cubs Rumor Round-Up: Bradley 3-Way, Chapman & More
All Milton, all the time...
- Foxsports's rumor mongering robot Robothal is hearing talks about a 3-way trade of Milton Bradley to the Blue Jays, Lyle Overbay to the Mets and Luis Castillo to the Cubs.
The three-team possibility, according to one source, has "some legs,
but not much." The Jays are opposed to the deal, one source says —
perhaps because new GM Alex Anthopolous does not want a trade for
Bradley to be his first major move.
Castillo is owed $6M each of the next two seasons, will be 34 next year has piss-poor UZR and Rate2 numbers the last few seasons and was the proud owner of a .337 wOBA(barely above average) last season thanks mostly to a .342 BABIP which isn't something he's shown he can repeat too often. So that's exciting...
But if the Cubs can indeed move the $21M owed Bradley for the $12M owed Castillo, well that becomes a no-brainer for the Cubs. Chances are they'll have to throw some cash which spins me right back to the not so exciting camp.
The same article says the Rays have been the heaviest pursuers of Bradley mentioning Pat Burrell again. Their salaries even out in 2010 according to Robothal, but Rays want Cubs to pay most of 2011 to relieve them of their headache.
- Bruce Levine chimed in earlier saying the Cubs have talked with Mets, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rays and Angels about Bradley. Levine reiterates that Rich Harden and Kevin Gregg are as good as gone, Cubs would like to resign John Grabow and Reed Johnson could be welcome back if he accepts a one year deal. He says the Cubs priorities are bullpen help, a leadoff hitter, center field and a veteran middle infielder...like Luis Castillo for example.
- Bruce Miles talked to Carlos Zambrano's agent and said he hasn't been approached about waving any no-trade clauses and thinks it's a "non-story". Talk with Hendry included glowing praise of Starlin Castro and that a deal for Bradley isn't close.
- For what it's worth, which isn't much...Billy Williams would like to salvage the Milton Bradley situation in Chicago.
- Finally, the Cubs did inquire about the Cuban lefty fireballer Aroldis Chapman, but "seem to be going in other, cheaper directions"
Otherwise, be sure you don't miss Arizona Phil's Top 15 prospect list for something with some substance over this rumor mongering.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.
Watching the NFL Draft on ESPN with the mute on is one of the greatest joys in my small life. Being able to not hear Roger Goodell, Chris Berman, Jon Gruden, and Mel Kiper in quick order is just somehow immensely satisfying. I hope by the time the Bears pick they have Steven AAAAAAAAAAAAA Smith and Skip Bayless on so I can not hear them too.
even if the cubs lose feder, he's easily replaceable with a cash/low-end-ptbnl trade...plus, taylor davis is wasting time down in AA and he could pop up to AAA to back up w.conteras.
Tim Federowicz is out of minor league options, so Outright Assignment Waivers would be needed before he can be sent back to Iowa. He also has the right to elect free-agency if outrighted, but he probably wouldn't elect to be a FA if outrighted unless the Cubs shit on him somehow while he's up with the big club (not likely).
But it is possible that another MLB club could claim Federowicz if the Cubs place him on waivers, which would leave Willson Contreras as pretty much the only other option if a catcher goes on the DL again later in the season.
CRAIG: D. J. Wilson is hitting 083/115/167 in six Cactus League EXST games (26 PA), but his K-rate is only 11.5% and he has somehow managed to drive-in five runs along the way (he's tied for second on the team in RBI), so it's not like he's swinging & missing a lot. He does seem to be feeling for the ball a bit, however, which has resulted in too much weak contact and not enough line drives.
Bryant sprained ankle MRI tomorrow
Cubs did a lot of that today: 2-for-17 with RISP.
Man, what an ugly baseball game - Cubs receive 11 walks and Bryant reached twice by HBP, the Brewers pitchers threw almost 200 pitches (199 pitches...in 8 innings!), they even walked Baez (first one of the year), Cubs scored twice when Brewers botched routine DP balls, Cahill walks three guys with a 6-run lead, forcing Maddon to waste Strop, the weather sucked again, etc. Happy with the win, but that was really tough to watch.
"Some of the most racist things I've ever heard have come out of people that are on the air at ESPN," Schilling said Wednesday on "Breitbart News Patriot Forum." He was fired by ESPN last week.
“In the end for me it felt like that rule applied to me and me alone because I was conservative … Bigots are calling me a bigot. A bigot is someone who refuses to accept a different opinion. I will accept anyone’s opinion.”
Rolled scoring on Rizzo double
Re ZOBRIST -
Today's game is what I was referring to re Zobrist and RISP struggles. He did come through with his patented single to drive in a run - but also left the bases loaded, and two men on, no outs (called 3rd).
So, I hope he can pick that part of his game up when they start playing the better teams...
Don't see anything on the replay showing where he rolled it and he played for 2 more innings after so at first glance it so doesn't seem major. Very cold today so any discomfort is probably amplified.
How bad was Bryant's ankle sprain?
I'm gonna vote for Castillo so Molina doesn't get it but Ross has caught something in his last year and I'm loving it. He seems like an incredible guy who everyone on this team loves and if he can just be average with his bat that'd be huge this year.
Time to start the not-at-all-tongue-in-cheek David Ross for All-Star write-in campaign.
That was on crazy top of the first -- a single, two walks, 3 stolen bases -- and no runs.
Phil, DJ Wilson seems to mostly have 0-for-X box-scores, from those I've seen and remember.
1. What do you have for his XST record thus far;
2. Is he hitting in bad luck? Or just not hitting the ball very hard very often?
3. Is he having trouble with everything, or does it seem mostly like breaking stuff is what's giving him trouble?
He turns 20 in less than 6 months.