Cubs Rumor Round-Up: Bradley 3-Way, Chapman & More
All Milton, all the time...
- Foxsports's rumor mongering robot Robothal is hearing talks about a 3-way trade of Milton Bradley to the Blue Jays, Lyle Overbay to the Mets and Luis Castillo to the Cubs.
The three-team possibility, according to one source, has "some legs,
but not much." The Jays are opposed to the deal, one source says —
perhaps because new GM Alex Anthopolous does not want a trade for
Bradley to be his first major move.
Castillo is owed $6M each of the next two seasons, will be 34 next year has piss-poor UZR and Rate2 numbers the last few seasons and was the proud owner of a .337 wOBA(barely above average) last season thanks mostly to a .342 BABIP which isn't something he's shown he can repeat too often. So that's exciting...
But if the Cubs can indeed move the $21M owed Bradley for the $12M owed Castillo, well that becomes a no-brainer for the Cubs. Chances are they'll have to throw some cash which spins me right back to the not so exciting camp.
The same article says the Rays have been the heaviest pursuers of Bradley mentioning Pat Burrell again. Their salaries even out in 2010 according to Robothal, but Rays want Cubs to pay most of 2011 to relieve them of their headache.
- Bruce Levine chimed in earlier saying the Cubs have talked with Mets, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rays and Angels about Bradley. Levine reiterates that Rich Harden and Kevin Gregg are as good as gone, Cubs would like to resign John Grabow and Reed Johnson could be welcome back if he accepts a one year deal. He says the Cubs priorities are bullpen help, a leadoff hitter, center field and a veteran middle infielder...like Luis Castillo for example.
- Bruce Miles talked to Carlos Zambrano's agent and said he hasn't been approached about waving any no-trade clauses and thinks it's a "non-story". Talk with Hendry included glowing praise of Starlin Castro and that a deal for Bradley isn't close.
- For what it's worth, which isn't much...Billy Williams would like to salvage the Milton Bradley situation in Chicago.
- Finally, the Cubs did inquire about the Cuban lefty fireballer Aroldis Chapman, but "seem to be going in other, cheaper directions"
Otherwise, be sure you don't miss Arizona Phil's Top 15 prospect list for something with some substance over this rumor mongering.
One more victory to ensure a winning season!
If I were a betting man
Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
Monty on mound.
Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo
/Prove me wrong
When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.
So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?
TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.
Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.
Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.
Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.
Can't have everything, I guess.
i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.
Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.
Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...
Here's some defensive numbers:
- Crawford (22.2)
- Seager (16.9)
- Cozart (14.2)
- Hechavarria (13.5)
- Russell (12.4)
- B. Crawford 2.3
- Russell 2.0
- Hechavarria 1.7
- N. Ahmed 1.6
- Z. Cozart 1.5
13.C. Seager 0.7
.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned
Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?
Favorite Genesis video
Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.