Cubs Rumor Round-Up: Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez, Cameron & More
- Assuming the package of Cubs prospects that Hendry is willing to offer isn't enough to pry Curtis Granderson from the Tigers, the Cubs may move on to signing Mike Cameron as their main focus. First, the Cubs will have to move Milton Bradley of course and then they could look to sign the 36, going on 37-year old center fielder. Lou raves about him and Cameron raves about Lou in the article, so chances are he won't end up in Lou's doghouse by April.
- He said, she said: Jon Heyman say the Cubs aren't close to dealing Bradley because they're only willing to eat up to $5M of his contract, but Will Carroll tweeted around 8pm CST last night that:
Cubs signing of Mike Cameron is waiting on deal of Milton Bradley, which has been "imminent" for about 72 hours.
- More on Cameron from the Tribune, and thoughts that Tampa Bay and Texas are the most likeliest landing spots for Bradley.
"For some guys it's a gift," Cameron, who played for Piniella in
Seattle from 2000 to '02, told the Tribune in '07 of playing for
Piniella. "And for some guys it's a curse. I've seen both sides of the
fence. For me, it was a blessing. It made me the player I am today. He
taught me a lot about the game, and he's one of the ultimate field
generals, probably the best manager I've ever had."
I covered Cameron earlier in the offseason, and the Cubs would get a decent but aging bat that drove in 10.7% of the runners in front of him last year (Not good, basically Bradley territory). He did much better in past years driving in runs and still seems to have the defensive chops to cover center field with the best of them. At 37 though, it should be a one year deal with maybe a 2nd year option, but I guess he gets more if Hendry is involved.
- The Cubs popped up on a list of suitors for Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez. Both were offered arbitration by the Braves and would cost the Cubs a 2nd round pick as the Cubs first round pick is protected this year. They'll have to move fast though as the deadline to accept or decline arbitration is Monday and at least in Soriano's case, they want to know what kind of offers are out there or they'll take up the Braves on arbitration.
- Bruce Miles has a Winter Meeting preview up, saying a right-handed outfielder compliment to Fukudome is on the agenda (assuming they move Bradley). That puts guys like David DeJesus and Rick Ankiel down on the Cubs wish list. Also mentions Texas and Tampa as the most likely spots for Bradley and if the Cubs do have to then move someone like Burrell, a three-team trade doesn't have to happen immediately. Also, expect a vet right-handed bullpen guy to be signed at some point.
- Lou doesn't rule out returning for 2011. Joy.
- Baseball Analysts covers "The Problematic Cubs Outfielder".
Thanks to everyone who discovered most of those links for me...
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.
BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!!
great time to have a kid...much approved. more teams should be inducing labor around the cubs schedule.
cruising fast now
How does one strain a bone?
Also, what is the Cubs' record with Schwarb in the lineup?
Len just said Cubs are last in the majors in batting average. I had to look that up to confirm it. Methinks the opposite will be true in a few years.
So much congratulations!!
Goldschmidt back in AZ for birth of child.
I removed the work that dynamically updated the comments sections. Guess too many were experiencing a slow down.
Der Kaiser out 3-5 days with rib strain.
Will be reevaluated then.
Dear Webmaster: Current home page loading time is slightly over 1 minute 15 seconds. Opening this page was similar.
These are minutes of my life I can't get back. Sad but true. There is a fracture, I need to fix it.
Just took a long time to open right now
The magic number is now 23.
SF continues their kickass losing streak (6 games).
WAS is suddenly back in the WC competition mix via SF's suck. SF 7.0 games back and WAS 7.5 games back is a hell of a distance for either team to climb at this point in the season.