A Place in Wrigleyville

Tags:

Comments

Another wonderful example of the terminal inferiority complex suffered by the citizens of the south side.

Same reason that fans in St. Louis despise the Cubs, a team that has, for the most part, been the Cards' bitch for the past 70 years.

I grew up in that neighborhood, and spent many an overserved night in the tiny bar and great beer garden.

Nowadays there are problably as many Cub fans as Sox fans who hang out there.

I don't really mind anti-Cub jokes...but that commercial wasn't even funny.

I'm curious to where it airs, not a lot of room for a :49 second TV spot.

Good question. Smells like a not-for-air viral video to me, but if they could cut it down to :30, it would be a great spot for local cable.

The Joe--

If you didn't like the one I posted, you'll really hate this one:

I think they're quite well done, and I imagine they were produced on a shoestring budget, which is always an accomplishment.

Also, I am impressed when anything composed by a White Sox fan doesn't have the word 'fuck' in it.

I'm not dissing you for posting it. Just the commercial, but actually, I was just now thinking...well, it's not my place to say what is and isn't funny. I should have said, "I don't find it funny".

Not to worry, no exception taken.

I guess what confuses me is that I could never understand how some people can base their love of baseball around the hatred of a team. Sox fans seem to hate the Cubs more than they like the Cubs, sometimes. What's the point of following baseball just out of schadenfreude? (I just like using that word). I mean, I hate the Cards, but if they didn't exist, I'd give less than a shit, because I really just want the Cubs to win. So, if you're going to make a commercial about mindless hatred...you'd better make it clever.

You're asking the wrong guy. I LOVE to see the White Sox lose. Last night, watching Danks lose the no-hitter and then the game, hearing Hawk and D.J. get all pouty, was positively delicious, but I agree that I would probably not bother to build a commercial about White Sox hatred. Probably goes back to comment #1 about the old South Side inferiority complex.

My mom hates the White Sox, and cheers when they lose. My dad is indifferent, he calls the 'The White Nothings' not as an insult, but just to imply he doesn't care what they do.

For me its a chicken and egg type question. Early on as a Cubs fan I had no particular feelings toward the White Sox. That was until I met White Sox fans who all hated the Cubs, hated me for being a Cub fan, and wanted to talk smack at every occasion. This was the case with Sox fans who I grew up with in Iowa as well as Sox fans from the Chicago area I met in college. I could never really figure out why they hated the Cubs so much when, for the most part, we sucked for a long long time. But after so much shit from so many people, it got to me and I now love to see the Sox lose. Granted, I don't like Ozzie, AJ, Hawk and DJ, etc. either, but I mainly just want to see them lose badly so their asshole fans can suck it.

I love to see Harrelson sputter. The Wrigley series this year gave us some priceless Hawk moments. :-)

I also like to watch the Ozzie freak show just to see what he'll do next.

That said, I have nothing particularly against the Sox. I was happy to see them win the WS. However, Hawk & Ozzie put on their best shows when the Sox fail. :-)

I got not problem with that. There are teams I hate (personally I'm indifferent to the Sox) but I just can't imagine fans hating a team MORE than they like their own team.

I remember seeing fans in the stands at Comiscular during the World Series with shirts saying "Cubs suck". Your team is in the World Series and all you can think about is the Cubs. No White Sox shirts, but anti-Cubs shirts. That is ridickinthemouth.

Case in point:

I went to the 2nd Sox WS game in 2005 (my former company had tix), which was the game that Konerko hit a grand slam and Podsednik won with a walk-off HR. Fantastic game, people were laughing and hugging each other, with once-in-a-lifetime smiles on their faces and a few with tears in their eyes A great experience that reminded me to enjoy the hell out of good times when they come around.

On the El ride home, a Sox fan yells out, "Hey! I wonder what the CUBS are doing tonight?!", which gets a big cheer. I raised my eyebrows to my Sox-fan friend, and thought how odd it was that a team's fans would think of another team on the most joyous night of their sports life.

Such is the power of an inferiority complex.

It has to suck when you know that your team is going to win the world series and the city they play in won't care at all.

It would be like the Clippers winning the NBA finals here in Los Angeles. Nobody would care.

somehow I get the message from watching this ad that the son is certainly better off than if he was buying in Bridgeport.

• That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.

Eric S 11 hours 48 min ago view
  • ...and it's a 3 run homer.

hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!

• montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.

• from rotoworld...

"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.

• I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

Charlie 14 hours 25 sec ago view
  • ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

• nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

• Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 15 hours 12 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

• He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 15 hours 22 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 18 hours 34 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.