The Bump and The Grind

This might be a random collection of events, but taking the mound against the Cubs has had it's risks. It dawned on me that we've seen some season ending injuries happen to our opponents pitchers. Coincidence? Or Death Cab for Cutie?

Follow the link to the pitchers who've risked entering the valley of shadows:

Tom Glavine -- He's had two rough starts against the Cubs and immediately landed on the DL each time. His diagnosis is a strained left pitching elbow, supposedly a tear in flexor tendon origin. This second episode occurred after two months of attempted nonsurgical rehab. It almost definitely ends his season and possible starts his 5 year clock to make it to the Hall of Fame. If he ops for surgery at age 42, who knows what else will break down. Glavine had never been on the DL before this season. Father time has finally caught up with him.

Chris Carpenter -- Reinjured his pitching arm last sunday (video link) and is again on the DL. He was matching pitches (with his signature low pitch count) through 5 innings against Ryan Dempster (with his signature high pitch count).  The diagnosis is triceps strain which is the muscle/tendon on the back side of the arm. Basically, it's not his reconstructed collateral ligament but all the anatomy around the elbow is closely related. Given his history the Cardinals need to be very worried about a quick return with only 6 weeks left in the season. This was his third start back after a 1-1/2 years of rehabbing two elbow surgeries including an elbow scope for arthritis followed by a "Tommy John" ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction procedure when it was clear the first surgery had not helped. The Cardinals were counting on their one time "ace" to give them the boost to make the playoffs after the team has played incredibly well given that everyone had written their season off in preseason polls. Now back on the DL, it looks like the redbirds last pitching hope is limited to Adam Wainright's recovery as Carpenter, Mulder and Matt Clement are ticketed for the land of #22 and perpetual rehab.

Yovani Gallardo -- Ripped his ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) on this play during the game May 1st, it was a major blow to the Brewers rotation for at least May and June. The injury subsequently cost the Brewers last years first round draft pick, Matt LaPorta, to replace him with someone even bigger than Prince Fielder. Prince has said that he is Sabathia's "mini-me". Or Fielder at least thinks of Sabathia as one very big potato. Gallardo's injury was a significant timeline change, thus Capt Kirk and Mr. Spock are still looking for McCoy and Joan Collins to rectify things. Gallardo just started light tossing and won't resurface until next spring.

To be honest, this hit list is based on a fairly flimsy argument since Carpenter and Glavine's aging arms were hanging on with duct tape, but still it begs the question: Who's Next?

Comments

Dunno, but I won't get fooled again. No no.

I half-expected that to end: "I'm a surgeon, not a fortune teller." :-)

My mind's tellin' me NOOO.

Buy my body -- my boooddddddy is tellin' me YEEEESSSS!

Wait, I thought it was Chad who sold his body on here?

Their ego's were writing checks their bodies couldn't cash.

The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.

Considering the type of freakish injuries we've experienced over the years to our front - line starters (whirlpool, baserunning, etc.), I weep not for our opposition's pitching woes. No, if someone would just trip Sabathia on his way to the post - game spread after his next start...

Something else tasteless: http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/27024449.html

Actually, I wouldn't know if it's tasteless or not, but odds of great taste are... not so good.

• crunch 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

crunch 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 2 hours 1 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 2 hours 25 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 33 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 43 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 13 hours 2 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.