TCR Friday Notes
- The mayor of Mesa discusses the city's proposal for the Cubs potential new spring training facility. The two locations being discussed are the NE part of the valley by the 202(sounds like he says by Record but couldn't find that, earlier interview he said Greenfield which is what the link goes to) or near the Gateway Airport by the 202 Freeway and Elliot Road. He also says that they'll look to try and grab another Florida team to fill HoHoKam and Fitch Park. As has been mentioned, besides the new stadium and facilties, a Wrigleyville West will be built around the park for fans to spend their cash at.
And for what it's worth, the governor of Florida says it's not quite over.
“I had the opportunity to chat with the owner last night,’’ he said
during a stop at Cambier Park in Naples. “He told me, ‘governor, you’re
going to see some thing in tomorrow’s papers, but no decision has been
- The New York Times takes on the Cubs convention. Speaking of the NYT, they've announced a metered payment system to start in 2011 for their online content. Basically you get 10 free visits a month and then will have to pay to access anymore articles. Don't be too surprised when the Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune do something similar in a few years.
- We got a mention at Big League Stew in their Chicago Cubs BLS Blogbook. Thanks. On the left sidebar of our site, I added a Cubs blogroll that randomly features 5 of the so far 36 and counting Cubs blogs that I've found.
- Tim at Cubby-Blue takes a look at what the Ryan Theriot arbitration hearing might look like.
- Baseball Prospectus Top 11 Cubs list should is up next. The schedule has been every other day, but I'm not sure if they post on weekends, so it'll either be up Saturday or Monday.
- The rumor mill at this point still seems to be a right handed hitting outfielder to platoon with Kosukue Fukudome and give Soriano and possibly Derrek Lee some time off. Defensively challenged Johnny Gomes is the hottest name at the moment, seemingly willing to take a 1-year deal and be a reserve. Talks have cooled with Jermaine Dye and Reed Johnson and Xavier Nady(my preference) are still in the mix. Also, the Cubs want a veteran right-handed reliever with Kiko Calero, Jose Contreras, Heath Bell, Luke Gregerson and Jason Frasor all being mentioned at some point. The Ben Sheets talks seem to be overblown at this point and his agent indicated that the Mets and A's are probably the two organizations that still have enough money left this offseason to sign him.
Speaking of starting pitchers, how's Eric Bedard doing?
- While Cubnut hasn't been able to do much writing for the site, he has taken to updating our twitter account (some of those are from me as well). On the right sidebar below the ad you'll see a twitter feed with the latest.
- We've added a few text link advertisements around the site in the sidebars, if they are of interest to you, we'd appreciate giving them a visit.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.