TCR Friday Notes
- The mayor of Mesa discusses the city's proposal for the Cubs potential new spring training facility. The two locations being discussed are the NE part of the valley by the 202(sounds like he says by Record but couldn't find that, earlier interview he said Greenfield which is what the link goes to) or near the Gateway Airport by the 202 Freeway and Elliot Road. He also says that they'll look to try and grab another Florida team to fill HoHoKam and Fitch Park. As has been mentioned, besides the new stadium and facilties, a Wrigleyville West will be built around the park for fans to spend their cash at.
And for what it's worth, the governor of Florida says it's not quite over.
“I had the opportunity to chat with the owner last night,’’ he said
during a stop at Cambier Park in Naples. “He told me, ‘governor, you’re
going to see some thing in tomorrow’s papers, but no decision has been
- The New York Times takes on the Cubs convention. Speaking of the NYT, they've announced a metered payment system to start in 2011 for their online content. Basically you get 10 free visits a month and then will have to pay to access anymore articles. Don't be too surprised when the Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune do something similar in a few years.
- We got a mention at Big League Stew in their Chicago Cubs BLS Blogbook. Thanks. On the left sidebar of our site, I added a Cubs blogroll that randomly features 5 of the so far 36 and counting Cubs blogs that I've found.
- Tim at Cubby-Blue takes a look at what the Ryan Theriot arbitration hearing might look like.
- Baseball Prospectus Top 11 Cubs list should is up next. The schedule has been every other day, but I'm not sure if they post on weekends, so it'll either be up Saturday or Monday.
- The rumor mill at this point still seems to be a right handed hitting outfielder to platoon with Kosukue Fukudome and give Soriano and possibly Derrek Lee some time off. Defensively challenged Johnny Gomes is the hottest name at the moment, seemingly willing to take a 1-year deal and be a reserve. Talks have cooled with Jermaine Dye and Reed Johnson and Xavier Nady(my preference) are still in the mix. Also, the Cubs want a veteran right-handed reliever with Kiko Calero, Jose Contreras, Heath Bell, Luke Gregerson and Jason Frasor all being mentioned at some point. The Ben Sheets talks seem to be overblown at this point and his agent indicated that the Mets and A's are probably the two organizations that still have enough money left this offseason to sign him.
Speaking of starting pitchers, how's Eric Bedard doing?
- While Cubnut hasn't been able to do much writing for the site, he has taken to updating our twitter account (some of those are from me as well). On the right sidebar below the ad you'll see a twitter feed with the latest.
- We've added a few text link advertisements around the site in the sidebars, if they are of interest to you, we'd appreciate giving them a visit.
Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 8th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.
Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well (9th), Zobrist with a 2.7 (14th).
M. Carpenter leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.
@jonahkeri Joe Maddon living out Joe Maddon fanfic IRL tonight
yes. I was at the Sean Marshall game in LF. Lou Piniella was managing. StL won 4-2, so I guess it didn't help but it was zany. Soriano/Reed Johnson and Marshall were the LF's.
On a 6 degrees of separation note: Cubs got Travis Wood in the trade that sent Sean Marshall to Cincy.
Make that 1-7, 4 RBI.
i like how strop played LF with his "crooked cap" look...that's not just for the mound.
let baez pitch the 15th, he earned it.
Forget the save, finally Javier!!
Can a pitcher get more than one hold in a game? Or a Win and a save?
Didn't they do this sort of thing with Sean Marshall years back? Sticking him in LF to save him to face others, but without a pitcher replacing him in LF.
This is the most beautiful thing ever.
all i wanna know is...when's d.ross gonna pitch?
Maddon is over-managing the shit out of this game.
i was a bit more confused why the guy who gave up a HR to votto last night was facing him with 2 men on.
...now that wood is coming in to pitch the following inning, the whole thing gets weirder. so like, okay.
Javy 0-6. At least he's consistent.
What's with the Travis Wood stuff? Is it because he pitched the last 2 games?