Merde: Dawson Goes in as an Expo and Other Cub Notes
The Hall of Fame made the right move, albeit the unpopular one, by announcing that Andre Dawson will be inducted as a Montreal Expo. Real Neal did the legwork for me using BP's WARP3 numbers:
Montreal: 43.7 Wins
Chicago: 18.1 Wins
Others: -2.2 Wins
Dawson may have been a more popular player in baseball thanks to his Cubs days, but he was clearly a better player as an Expo. Even if you divide his wins per season, it's 3.97 as an Expo and 3.01 as a Cub, so there's just no reasonable argument for Dawson as a Cub other than a popularity contest. Dawson did prefer the Cubs for what it's worth and says he may don a Cubs hat during his speech to acknowledge the Cubs fans.
- The Cubs agreed to a contract with left-hander Sean "What the Fuck Do I Have to Do to be Guaranteed a Roster Spot?" Marshall. I fear that nickname might not catch on. According to some tweets it's for $950K.
- It's almost official that Cubs will pick Mesa today to enter exclusive negotiations that could take up to a year. The preferred location may be revealed as well. Good news for me as it's a short 6-hour drive and for TCR, as I don't think Arizona Phil was planning a Florida move. I'm hoping to make my first spring training trip this March.
- Current 25-man roster:
Starters: Soto, Lee, Baker, Theriot, Ramirez, Soriano, Byrd, Fukudome
Bench: Hill, Nady, (3 of) Blanco, Fontenot, Fuld, Hoffpauir, Tracy, Castro or Colvin
Right now Blanco, Fontenot and Fuld seem like the favorites, but a hot or cold spring or injury could certainly change things.
Rotation: Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, Gorzelanny, Marshall (probably skipped until 5th starter needed)
Lilly will start the season on the disabled list.
Bullpen: Marmol, Grabow, Guzman, Silva, Likely RH addition, (2 of) Berg, Samardzija, Parisi, Stevens, Gray, Caridad, Gaub, Atkins, Dolis, Patton, Parker
and it'll just be 1 of those last 10 when Lilly is back from the disabled list and Marshall or Gorzelanny moves to the pen.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.