Cubs and Marmol Agree on Deal & Other Cubs News
The Cubs will avoid an arbitration hearing with Carlos Marmol, as the two sides agreed on a deal for $2.125M...exactly the midpoint of their two submitted figures of $1.75M and $2.5M.
- Kevin Millar was on XM Radio this morning excited about signing with the Cubs. Apparently he lives in the Mesa area and wanted to go to camp with a team nearby so he could spend time with his 2 kids and a third on the way in June. He says he knows that if he as any chance to make the team, he'll have to re-learn third base and try to play some outfield. That should be fun to watch.
In the same radio interview, the hosts referenced an interview with Reed Johnson yesterday where Reed talked about the confines of the clubhouse at Wrigley. Reed seemed to suggest that the lack of space made it difficult on the team last year to escape some of the drama with Milton Bradley and so forth.
- The TV schedules are coming out and the Cubs will be on WGN for a record low 58 games this year and the home opener will be on WCIU. They also have 8 Fox Saturday games (two scheduled for Saturday nights) and another two ESPN Sunday night games in July. A few more games could be dropped or picked up by ESPN as well.
- Vine Line's latest issue features 50 Cubs prospects you should know and they feature two in this blog post - Hak-Ju Lee and D.J. LeMahieu.
- Speaking of Lee, Muskat runs down some of the signings from Korea over the last few years. This was posted in the comments a few weeks back, but here's Lee singing that's referenced in the article.
- Yahoo does their season preview on the Cubs.
On the field, everything must fall in place for manager Lou Piniella’s team to make the playoffs.
Insightful. That pretty much goes for the other 29 teams as well.
- Holding out hope for Orlando Hudson to join the Cubs? It looks like he's headed to the Minnesota Twins.
I'll put pix on Twitter
Actually behind press box
Yeah great tix
Looks like Bryan Hudson is the new Randy Johnson: his height will always be part of his name.
Seriously? Envious. Enjoy the game!
Working through the evening, so no recappage, but hope people will come cheer on the Cubs in Parachat.
I'm sitting behind Cubs dugout near the end
Wearing Cubs visor
Brewers just claimed him
Before Wood,Strop, Rondon yesterday
Elias: 99 yrs. since a bullpen threw at least 7 perfect innings. last time 6/23/17 by Boston. Ernie Shore retired last 26 after Babe Ruth ejected for arguing balls and strikes after walking lead off hitter. Runner was caught stealing.
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K