Cubs and Marmol Agree on Deal & Other Cubs News
The Cubs will avoid an arbitration hearing with Carlos Marmol, as the two sides agreed on a deal for $2.125M...exactly the midpoint of their two submitted figures of $1.75M and $2.5M.
- Kevin Millar was on XM Radio this morning excited about signing with the Cubs. Apparently he lives in the Mesa area and wanted to go to camp with a team nearby so he could spend time with his 2 kids and a third on the way in June. He says he knows that if he as any chance to make the team, he'll have to re-learn third base and try to play some outfield. That should be fun to watch.
In the same radio interview, the hosts referenced an interview with Reed Johnson yesterday where Reed talked about the confines of the clubhouse at Wrigley. Reed seemed to suggest that the lack of space made it difficult on the team last year to escape some of the drama with Milton Bradley and so forth.
- The TV schedules are coming out and the Cubs will be on WGN for a record low 58 games this year and the home opener will be on WCIU. They also have 8 Fox Saturday games (two scheduled for Saturday nights) and another two ESPN Sunday night games in July. A few more games could be dropped or picked up by ESPN as well.
- Vine Line's latest issue features 50 Cubs prospects you should know and they feature two in this blog post - Hak-Ju Lee and D.J. LeMahieu.
- Speaking of Lee, Muskat runs down some of the signings from Korea over the last few years. This was posted in the comments a few weeks back, but here's Lee singing that's referenced in the article.
- Yahoo does their season preview on the Cubs.
On the field, everything must fall in place for manager Lou Piniella’s team to make the playoffs.
Insightful. That pretty much goes for the other 29 teams as well.
- Holding out hope for Orlando Hudson to join the Cubs? It looks like he's headed to the Minnesota Twins.
How about that Lester. What a beast. A nifty 1.58 ERA/227 ERA+
Sean Rodriguez still a douche
Strop quick pitches him and so he jaws with Strop and Cubs dugout.
Get use to it Pauly Shore, Buccos are done
was the last out, bottom 6th more about Adam Warren being good or about the Pirates struggling this series?
and on cue, Len and JD discuss:
JD: It appears that Adam Warren is becoming Joe Maddon's favorite club.
Len: You mean favorite Cub?
JD: No like a favorite golf club.
Len: Like Billie Baroo (then does Ted Knight/Judge Smails impersonation from Caddyshack)
Rizzo on fire
By the way in relation to the zany suits Madden was saying his other reason for forcing players to wear them in public is to cause some awkwardness and embarrassment in the players that they'd have to overcome. He said he feels this ability might help players when they screw up in the game recover more quickly. Not sure if it will but he definitely thinks about the things he does.
Brutal. Pirates load the bases with 0 outs and fail to push any runners across. After two tough games, that really has to suck the wind out of them. Man...
Bases loaded no outs
Lester pitches out of it
Most excellent! MTFBWY!
Btw Star Wars Day, May the Fourth
/found on twitter
Rizzo almost killed McCutchen with a line drive to center.
Don't agree with you, but an interesting discussion. I find this thinking limiting and not in-tune with the latest brain and physiology research. The fact is we use only a tiny fraction of our capacity, and if one can increase motor function along with brain capacity you achieve greater flexibility and value of the (player) asset. For the club's and player's benefit.
Oh, no. "Now the benchmark is quickly shifting to whether they [the Cubs] can become one of the best teams in baseball history."
Lester should try that for pickoff throws.
any other unemployed on parrot chat?