Derrek Lee Missed the Memo

From the Daily Herald:

"I don't think that was our problem last year," Lee said of bad
chemistry. "I just think we didn't play good baseball, and the injuries
mounted up on us."

Woah, Woah, Woah! Slow down there, Derrek! I realized you were one of the last team members to make it to Arizona so you might have missed the welcome packet, but please take a look at it, particularly page three on "Talking to the Media" and the subsection on "Discussing 2009":

"All employees of the Chicago National League Ballclub are required to discuss the improved clubhouse chemistry of the team in 2010 because of the departure of Milton Bradley. Whenever asked about the 2009 season and what went wrong, please direct all responses to a difficult clubhouse environment and if possible mention Milton Bradley by name. Eachy mention of how fun it is to have Kevin Millar around will earn you an extra $10 in per diem money."

Comments

And on page four when asked when will Ted Lilly return the answer is.....????????

~i'll wait~

everyone is there btw for those worried about Castro...

I don't want or expect Castro to make the team out of spring training.

I just found his absence interesting.

i dunno guys...

i did see that photo from one of the first days of workouts where byrd was walking on water while having a beer with a dozen of his teammates all at once.

i think he was chewing gum, too.

this is good for at least 0.282 points of team ob% by my count.

All I know is that I'd hate to be the player coming into the OF after the Milton Bradley sideshow. I hope Byrd tears it up out of the gate, though I have my doubts... so much optimism after 2008 and so much negativity after 2009. The emotional swings are brutal!!

luckily it seems that byrd isn't directly linked as a must-do-better-than-his-replacement guy.

it seems the pulse of the fans/team expect aram/soto/soriano and SP health to pull more of the weight of what was missing rather than looking at byrd as a catalyst hero to lift the team.

Hey Crunch..your dead horse just came by...

Bradley is gone, let's move on.

you seem to have severe comprehension problems.

Do you read the blog posts or just do a daily Ctrl F "Bradley"?

Lol...I just follow you two around all day, and wait for the Milton Bradley comments to start.

So you gonna wear black armbands in his memory this season?

if it helps you to think people are carrying a torch for him rather than telling it as we see it...so be it.

Ok...so you are telling it as you see it. That's cool. I am telling it like I see it.

We agree to disagree, which is also cool.

only you're busy telling me how i'm seeing it...even about stuff that doesn't involve milton directly.

Ok...but any mention of Byrd...or Silva...brings on a mention of how we'll miss Bradley..or how they mishandled Bradley...or how Silva sucks... ok, that's a given..he sucks.

So it's cool for you to comment and throw Bradley in there, but not to comment on it for anyone else?

yes, that's exactly what im saying.

brb, invading poland.

Bwahaaaaa-haaa!!!

"Black" armbands?!...you racist.

Just be glad he also didn't mention Soriano batting leadoff and the folly of $3 million managers.

see now that's funny...

this is suppose to be fun, damnit!

that's insanity for another thread.

our 17 million dollar low-ob% best power hitting bad-leg-running leadoff man. what a great idea. i hear if you move him down in the lineup he balls up into a crumbled mass at the plate unable to stand in front of the box and swing at everything like he does when he's in his comfort spot.

maybe milton bradley should have told the piece of shit to suck it up and bat 5th/6th.

see what you did Tito

That's what I get for trying to make it fun.

yup...enjoy.

This is pretty much what he said during the season as well.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 44 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 52 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 25 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 18 hours 51 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 19 hours 7 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

Charlie 1 day 31 min ago view
  • The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 1 hour ago view