Derrek Lee Missed the Memo

From the Daily Herald:

"I don't think that was our problem last year," Lee said of bad
chemistry. "I just think we didn't play good baseball, and the injuries
mounted up on us."

Woah, Woah, Woah! Slow down there, Derrek! I realized you were one of the last team members to make it to Arizona so you might have missed the welcome packet, but please take a look at it, particularly page three on "Talking to the Media" and the subsection on "Discussing 2009":

"All employees of the Chicago National League Ballclub are required to discuss the improved clubhouse chemistry of the team in 2010 because of the departure of Milton Bradley. Whenever asked about the 2009 season and what went wrong, please direct all responses to a difficult clubhouse environment and if possible mention Milton Bradley by name. Eachy mention of how fun it is to have Kevin Millar around will earn you an extra $10 in per diem money."

Comments

And on page four when asked when will Ted Lilly return the answer is.....????????

~i'll wait~

everyone is there btw for those worried about Castro...

I don't want or expect Castro to make the team out of spring training.

I just found his absence interesting.

i dunno guys...

i did see that photo from one of the first days of workouts where byrd was walking on water while having a beer with a dozen of his teammates all at once.

i think he was chewing gum, too.

this is good for at least 0.282 points of team ob% by my count.

All I know is that I'd hate to be the player coming into the OF after the Milton Bradley sideshow. I hope Byrd tears it up out of the gate, though I have my doubts... so much optimism after 2008 and so much negativity after 2009. The emotional swings are brutal!!

luckily it seems that byrd isn't directly linked as a must-do-better-than-his-replacement guy.

it seems the pulse of the fans/team expect aram/soto/soriano and SP health to pull more of the weight of what was missing rather than looking at byrd as a catalyst hero to lift the team.

Hey Crunch..your dead horse just came by...

Bradley is gone, let's move on.

you seem to have severe comprehension problems.

Do you read the blog posts or just do a daily Ctrl F "Bradley"?

Lol...I just follow you two around all day, and wait for the Milton Bradley comments to start.

So you gonna wear black armbands in his memory this season?

if it helps you to think people are carrying a torch for him rather than telling it as we see it...so be it.

Ok...so you are telling it as you see it. That's cool. I am telling it like I see it.

We agree to disagree, which is also cool.

only you're busy telling me how i'm seeing it...even about stuff that doesn't involve milton directly.

Ok...but any mention of Byrd...or Silva...brings on a mention of how we'll miss Bradley..or how they mishandled Bradley...or how Silva sucks... ok, that's a given..he sucks.

So it's cool for you to comment and throw Bradley in there, but not to comment on it for anyone else?

yes, that's exactly what im saying.

brb, invading poland.

Bwahaaaaa-haaa!!!

"Black" armbands?!...you racist.

Just be glad he also didn't mention Soriano batting leadoff and the folly of $3 million managers.

see now that's funny...

this is suppose to be fun, damnit!

that's insanity for another thread.

our 17 million dollar low-ob% best power hitting bad-leg-running leadoff man. what a great idea. i hear if you move him down in the lineup he balls up into a crumbled mass at the plate unable to stand in front of the box and swing at everything like he does when he's in his comfort spot.

maybe milton bradley should have told the piece of shit to suck it up and bat 5th/6th.

see what you did Tito

That's what I get for trying to make it fun.

yup...enjoy.

This is pretty much what he said during the season as well.

• jacos 11 min 1 sec ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

Charlie 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

crunch 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 3 hours 48 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 4 hours 50 sec ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 13 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 17 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 23 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 8 hours 7 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 8 hours 9 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.

• 101 wins...most since 1910 (104).

neat. ...or sad. pick one. pick both. 'murica.

• Just looked up Grimm's stats -- after a great run, he gave up 2 runs vs. MIL then didn't pitch for 10 days. Don't remember why?