Derrek Lee Missed the Memo

From the Daily Herald:

"I don't think that was our problem last year," Lee said of bad
chemistry. "I just think we didn't play good baseball, and the injuries
mounted up on us."

Woah, Woah, Woah! Slow down there, Derrek! I realized you were one of the last team members to make it to Arizona so you might have missed the welcome packet, but please take a look at it, particularly page three on "Talking to the Media" and the subsection on "Discussing 2009":

"All employees of the Chicago National League Ballclub are required to discuss the improved clubhouse chemistry of the team in 2010 because of the departure of Milton Bradley. Whenever asked about the 2009 season and what went wrong, please direct all responses to a difficult clubhouse environment and if possible mention Milton Bradley by name. Eachy mention of how fun it is to have Kevin Millar around will earn you an extra $10 in per diem money."

Comments

And on page four when asked when will Ted Lilly return the answer is.....????????

~i'll wait~

everyone is there btw for those worried about Castro...

I don't want or expect Castro to make the team out of spring training.

I just found his absence interesting.

i dunno guys...

i did see that photo from one of the first days of workouts where byrd was walking on water while having a beer with a dozen of his teammates all at once.

i think he was chewing gum, too.

this is good for at least 0.282 points of team ob% by my count.

All I know is that I'd hate to be the player coming into the OF after the Milton Bradley sideshow. I hope Byrd tears it up out of the gate, though I have my doubts... so much optimism after 2008 and so much negativity after 2009. The emotional swings are brutal!!

luckily it seems that byrd isn't directly linked as a must-do-better-than-his-replacement guy.

it seems the pulse of the fans/team expect aram/soto/soriano and SP health to pull more of the weight of what was missing rather than looking at byrd as a catalyst hero to lift the team.

Hey Crunch..your dead horse just came by...

Bradley is gone, let's move on.

you seem to have severe comprehension problems.

Do you read the blog posts or just do a daily Ctrl F "Bradley"?

Lol...I just follow you two around all day, and wait for the Milton Bradley comments to start.

So you gonna wear black armbands in his memory this season?

if it helps you to think people are carrying a torch for him rather than telling it as we see it...so be it.

Ok...so you are telling it as you see it. That's cool. I am telling it like I see it.

We agree to disagree, which is also cool.

only you're busy telling me how i'm seeing it...even about stuff that doesn't involve milton directly.

Ok...but any mention of Byrd...or Silva...brings on a mention of how we'll miss Bradley..or how they mishandled Bradley...or how Silva sucks... ok, that's a given..he sucks.

So it's cool for you to comment and throw Bradley in there, but not to comment on it for anyone else?

yes, that's exactly what im saying.

brb, invading poland.

Bwahaaaaa-haaa!!!

"Black" armbands?!...you racist.

Just be glad he also didn't mention Soriano batting leadoff and the folly of $3 million managers.

see now that's funny...

this is suppose to be fun, damnit!

that's insanity for another thread.

our 17 million dollar low-ob% best power hitting bad-leg-running leadoff man. what a great idea. i hear if you move him down in the lineup he balls up into a crumbled mass at the plate unable to stand in front of the box and swing at everything like he does when he's in his comfort spot.

maybe milton bradley should have told the piece of shit to suck it up and bat 5th/6th.

see what you did Tito

That's what I get for trying to make it fun.

yup...enjoy.

This is pretty much what he said during the season as well.

• if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

crunch 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 19 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 2 hours 33 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 40 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 9 hours 33 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 13 hours 3 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 13 hours 5 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 15 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 18 hours 43 min ago view