Cubs Extended Spring Training In Overdrive
Brandon May reached base four times, scored four runs, and drove-in two more, Jonathan Mota knocked-in three runs, and Charles Thomas had three hits, leading the EXST Cubs to a 15-7 drubbing of the EXST Giants at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa.
Today was Cactus League Extended Spring Training (EXST) Opening Day in the Valley of the Sun, as the EXST Cubs played the first of 38 games they will be playing over the next eight weeks.
The Cubs Extended Spring Training squad consists of 50 players (40 active players plus ten more on injury rehab assignments). The Cubs EXST squad is managed by Boise manager Jody Davis, with AZL Cubs manager Juan Cabreja assisting Jo-DEE. Jeff Fassero and Rick Tronerud are the pitching coaches, and Ricardo Medina and Desi Wilson are the hitting coaches.
In addition to the hitting heroics by May, Mota, and Thomas, 20-year old Dominican RHP Luis Liria used his plus change-up to strike out six Giant hitters in three innings of work in relief, and side-armin’ LHP James Leverton struck out all four men he faced. RHP David Patton (who was up with the Cubs for much of last season) threw one inning, striking out the last two men he faced (both looking). Both Leverton and Patton were assigned to Extended Spring Training after they fell behind other pitchers in Minor League Camp, but both now look about ready to get their Letter of Transit out of Arizona.
Jonathan Mota is at Extended Spring Training learning the art of catching, something he just started doing at Minor League Camp last month. He will get assigned to a full-season squad once he gets more experience behind the plate. (Mota is eligible to be a Rule 55 Minor League FA post-2010).
Also, 21-year old outfielder Albert Hernandez (295/397/440 for DSL Cubs #1 in 2009) has arrived at Fitch Park from the Dominican Academy and was in the lineup today. (He did not report to Minor League Camp last month with the other DSL players who are making their U. S. debut in 2010).
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-5 (6-3, 3-1, 1B, 1B, 3-U, 2 R, 2 RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 2-5 (K, 1B, E-5, 3B, 6-3, 2 R, RBI)
3. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8 SF, 3-U, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 4-3, BB, 4 R, 2 RBI)
5. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 3-5 (F-8, 1B+E9, 1B, 6-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6a. Jonathan Mota, C-2B: 2-4 (K, E-6, 2B, 2B, 3 RBI)
6b. Wes Darvill, PH-2B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, RF: 1-5 (2B, 1-3, 6-3, K, F-9, R, RBI)
8a. D. J. Fitzgerald, DH #2: 2-3 (2B, K, BB, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
8b. Jae-Hoon Ha, C: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (E-1, K, K, R)
9b. Runey Davis, LF: 0-1 (1-3, HBP)
10a. Rafael Disla, 2B-DH: 2-4 (2B, 4-3, 1B, 3-U, R, 2 RBI, SB)
10b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-1 (K)
1. John Mincone – 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 5/2 GO/FO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
2. David Patton – 1.0 IP, 1 H 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 56 pitches (40 strikes)
4. James Leverton – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
SS Arismendy Alcantara E-6 (two-base throwing error resulted in unearned run scoring)
Jonathan Mota: 0-2 CS
Jae-Hoon Ha: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
Francisco Guzman: Doubled runner off 1st base 8-6-3
ATTENDANCE: 4 (includes Giants bus driver)
WEATHER: Warm & VERY breezy
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.