The LaTroy Hawkins Experience

The Cubs come back in dramatic fashion with four runs in the eighth with the entire rally starting with two outs - taking a second straight from the Brewers. I don't know what the joke is, but the punch line was once again LaTroy Hawkins.

The Good: Oh...so much. Randy Wells struck out the side to start the game and then struck out Weeks, Hart and Braun again the second time he faced them. He ended up with 7 K's on the day against just one walk, although he did give up 10 hits (just 2 for extra bases). Geovany Soto only manages a hit, but it's a home run along with 2 walks. Ryan Theriot has to be your player of the game....4/5 with the clutch 2-out, 2-RBI single in the 8th and then steals second base to set-up Fukudome's heroics. He also nailed Fielder at the plate in the second inning with the infield drawn in. Speaking of that 8th, the entire rally started with 2 outs. Byrd grounds out against Hawkins, then Chad Tracy K's. Jeff Baker singles though, Soto and Colvin work walks, the Theriot single, a clutch SB and then Mr. April with the single for the win. Marmol mows down the middle of the Brewers order with a 1-run lead...nailing down the 'tough' save.

The Bad: Jeff Gray gives up back-to-back triples in his first outing and two runs. He does end up with the vulture win. The Parachat crowd suggested there was some bad luck/sloppy defense involved though. Soriano makes another error and doesn't play a ball off the wall properly. Wells walked the pitcher with two outs in the 5th and then gave up his first two runs of the season when Weeks doubled in his third at-bat (and took third on Soriano's error).

Dare I Question Lou?: After the Brewers make it 4-2, Lou goes to Justin Berg to face Ryan Braun and he gets a ground-out, moving Corey Hart to third base. With first base open and Prince Fielder due up and righty Casey McGehee on-deck, I expected an intentional walk to Fielder. Lou went to James Russell instead, who dismissed Fielder easily on Monday and went after Fielder again. It worked, but how often can you play chicken with a 300-lb vegetarian and expect to win?

Comments

how often can you play chicken with a 300-lb vegetarian and expect to win?

...

Is that a rhetorical question? If not, my guess is three times. Are we going to keep track of the answers? Will there be a prize?

A vegetarian won't play chicken with you, especially if he's a vegan. It's against their beliefs.
____________________

Rob G., that line of yours should go into The Cub Reporter's Hall of Fame. Classic.

"Wells walked the pitcher with two outs in the 5th and then gave up his first two runs of the season when Weeks doubled in his third at-bat (and took third on Soriano's error)."

This I thought was going to lose the game for Wells. He had Bush with a 1-2 count and couldn't even throw the ball down the middle.

Regarding Fielder, how come Forrest Whittaker lost tons of weight as a vegitarian, and Fielder put it on?

being in a college area i can tell you f'sure that a lot of vegetarians tend to crutch on junkfood and crap rather than making good decisions.

a bag of chips and a cheese sandwich you can only do so much without it coming back to haunt you.

Yeah, I am sure. I have a teen daughter who does that too with her "vegetarian diet".

Also, booze and/or soda. You can drink down some calories too.

ow come Forrest Whittaker lost...
---
not enough Tofu?

forgot to mention the awesome throw by Byrd to nail Gomez at 3b, looked safe at first but replay looked like he got the leg just before the hand got in...

Marty McFly, meet Doc Brown...

"The guys who are making money are making that money because they've had really nice careers and have been successful," Piniella said. "I don't like living in the past, and I don't like living in the future. I like living in the present."

"I like living in the present." Yup, Rip, and 20 years later you wake up and notice Soriano is still in the lineup and Tyler Colvin, the hottest hitter of Spring Training has had a HOF career for the Oakland A's.

• I think Jones held up part of your sentence at third while the rest ran through the sign.

Jackstraw 12 min 6 sec ago view
  • has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?”

crunch 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • I agree -- I think if you are a soft-tosser, you need a track record before you are taken seriously. If Kyle posts sub-3.00 ERA consistently and wins 15+ games a few times (and pitches more innings), he may have a shot at the award in a few years. Hopefully, he gets in the top 5 this year -- would be deserved and a nice boost for his confidence.

billybucks 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • It's also possible that the Cubs have no intention of recalling Spencer Patton. Perhaps Maddon has seen enough of him, and Patton will eventually be one of the players cut to make room for others who will be added to the 40 in September.

Arizona Phil 1 hour 38 min ago view
  • I doesn't know what your talking about.

Sonicwind75 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • Maybe it's to get him some game action. He's only pitched for the Cubs once in the last 10 days. I don't really care much about him going down since he's sucked when up here.

I really want Rivero to be called up.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 48 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: It is indeed odd that the Cubs did not just wait one more day to recall LaStella.

As far as Spencer Patton is concerned...

Arizona Phil 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • Why didn't they wait until tomorrow to call up TLS? Don't they have to wait 10 days to bring Patton back up now?

chitownmvp01 2 hours 18 min ago view
  • Cubs assigned to Mesa Solar Sox (AFL):

Victor Caratini, C
    James Farris, RHRP
    Ian Happ, 2B-OF
    Eloy Jimenez, OF
    Ryan McNeil, RHRP
    Steve Perakslis, RHRP
    Duane Underwood Jr, RHSP

Brian Lawrence, Pitching Coach

Jimenez, Happ, Caratini and Underwood are among the Cubs Top 10 Prospects, and playing in the AFL should help speed their development.

Arizona Phil 2 hours 51 min ago view
  • Outstanding.

Jackstraw 3 hours 4 min ago view
  • So presuming he remains on the MLB Active List for the balance of the MLB regular season, Tommy LaStella will be at 2+102 MLB Service Time at the end of the season, far short of what he would have needed to accrue to have a chance at "Super Two" status post-2016. (Even if he had remained on the MLB Active List for the entire season and finished at 2+124 MLB Service Time, he still would have only been "on the bubble" for possible "Super Two" status post-2016).

Arizona Phil 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • I don't know about the defensive part of the equation, the fact all the Cubs pitchers are so ahead of their FIP makes me think it's a lot more defense than anything special Hendricks is doing.

• Thanks, jacos! I love a good Alice Cooper group performance video -- especially when it corresponds with a shrinking, division-clinching magic number!

JoePepitone 3 hours 44 min ago view
  • TLS up and playing second today. Spencer Patton to Iowa to make room.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 18 min ago view
  • Yeah that article describes what I said in my other post about WAR. BR WAR is fine as a snapshot but FG is a better predictor of future performance.

I also get what you mean by FIP being independent of luck but my point is all the soft contact Hendricks gives up negates a lot of that luck and defense aspect. In other words I believe he could pitch in front of any defense and have similar #s because for the most part he isn't giving up the screaming liners or hard hit liners to the gap.

• Down on the farm:

"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.

Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?