Giants Sweep Cubs in Split Squad Double-Bill at Fitch Park
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs by the scores of 7-0 and 9-2 in a “Split Squad” doubleheader played at Fitch Park in Mesa this morning. The EXST Cubs are now 2-3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training games.
The games were played simultaneously, one game on Field #2 and the other on Field #3. Both games were abbreviated due to the squads having a limited number of pitchers available to throw in a game.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) saw his first game action of the 2010 season today, getting four Plate Appearances in the game on Field #2. He hit the ball hard all four times, grounding out sharply 5-3 his first time up, flying out twice (F-8 and F-9) in his next two ABs, and then crushing a double off the fence in right-center in his 4th and final PA. The 23-year old 6'4 235+ Ridling (310/357/466 with 16 HR & 97 RBI, 34 doubles, and a league-leading 166 hits in 136 games at Peoria in 2009) will probably be at Fitch Park for about another week before joining the Daytona Cubs.
Ridling replaces Matt Spencer as the newest EXST “AB Hog,” as Spencer (broken toe) has completed his rehab and is en route to Daytona, where he will play until the Cubs can open up a roster slot for him at AA Tennessee.
Francisco Guzman had the best day offensively, ripping an RBI triple to CF and beating out a routine ground ball to 2nd base for an infield single, while also scoring two runs. Otherwise, Cubs bats were quiet on both fields.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in each of the first four innings, getting four Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, F-9, 2B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K)
3. Charles Thomas, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, L-7)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-0 (HBP)
4b. Kyung-Min Na, RF: 0-1 (P-5)
5. Melvin Camarena, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6. Manuel Pestana, CF: 0-2 (4-6 FC, K)
7. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
8a. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (K)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Cody Hams – 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Gian Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 2nd base to score unearned run with one out in the top of the 2nd inning)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – eventually scored unearned run)
RF Xavier Batista E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter to reach 2nd base, runner at 2nd base to score, and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base, with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – X. Batista was then immediately pulled from the game)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-3 (1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K+WP, E-6)
3. Bobby Wagner, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, K, HBP)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-1 (5-3, BB, BB)
5. Albert Hernandez, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 4-6-4 GIDP, K, CS)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
7. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (K, P-1, 6-3)
9. Cody Shields, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
1. Frank Batista – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/5 GO/FO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Larry Suarez – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
2B Rafael Disla E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base leading off the top of the 2nd inning – eventually scored unearned run)
P Eduardo Figueroa E-1 (throwing error attempting to pick runner off 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base in the top of the 2nd)
Carlos Romero: – 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
RVIMPENY: It's raining today so the Cubs will probably play intrasquad game(s) tomorrow and/or Saturday, but it's pretty much a day-to-day proposition, and a lot of times it's decided at the last minute.
Best bet is to check in at Riverview in the morning and ask somebody what's going on that day.
Thanks Phil, I had the Salt River chart, but based on that, it looks like they hardly play and was not on the Surprise on 9/28...I assume they do not really want fans there anyway? Do you know if they play today, Friday or Sat? Sorry to be a pain, but I am only here until Sunday.
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Tuesday's Cubs instructs intrasquad game:
Guess which one is Vogelberg
Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!