Giants Sweep Cubs in Split Squad Double-Bill at Fitch Park
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs by the scores of 7-0 and 9-2 in a “Split Squad” doubleheader played at Fitch Park in Mesa this morning. The EXST Cubs are now 2-3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training games.
The games were played simultaneously, one game on Field #2 and the other on Field #3. Both games were abbreviated due to the squads having a limited number of pitchers available to throw in a game.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) saw his first game action of the 2010 season today, getting four Plate Appearances in the game on Field #2. He hit the ball hard all four times, grounding out sharply 5-3 his first time up, flying out twice (F-8 and F-9) in his next two ABs, and then crushing a double off the fence in right-center in his 4th and final PA. The 23-year old 6'4 235+ Ridling (310/357/466 with 16 HR & 97 RBI, 34 doubles, and a league-leading 166 hits in 136 games at Peoria in 2009) will probably be at Fitch Park for about another week before joining the Daytona Cubs.
Ridling replaces Matt Spencer as the newest EXST “AB Hog,” as Spencer (broken toe) has completed his rehab and is en route to Daytona, where he will play until the Cubs can open up a roster slot for him at AA Tennessee.
Francisco Guzman had the best day offensively, ripping an RBI triple to CF and beating out a routine ground ball to 2nd base for an infield single, while also scoring two runs. Otherwise, Cubs bats were quiet on both fields.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in each of the first four innings, getting four Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, F-9, 2B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K)
3. Charles Thomas, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, L-7)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-0 (HBP)
4b. Kyung-Min Na, RF: 0-1 (P-5)
5. Melvin Camarena, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6. Manuel Pestana, CF: 0-2 (4-6 FC, K)
7. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
8a. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (K)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Cody Hams – 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Gian Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 2nd base to score unearned run with one out in the top of the 2nd inning)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – eventually scored unearned run)
RF Xavier Batista E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter to reach 2nd base, runner at 2nd base to score, and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base, with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – X. Batista was then immediately pulled from the game)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-3 (1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K+WP, E-6)
3. Bobby Wagner, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, K, HBP)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-1 (5-3, BB, BB)
5. Albert Hernandez, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 4-6-4 GIDP, K, CS)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
7. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (K, P-1, 6-3)
9. Cody Shields, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
1. Frank Batista – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/5 GO/FO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Larry Suarez – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
2B Rafael Disla E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base leading off the top of the 2nd inning – eventually scored unearned run)
P Eduardo Figueroa E-1 (throwing error attempting to pick runner off 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base in the top of the 2nd)
Carlos Romero: – 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
clap clap clap clap
I'm the man with the beard, names Arietta
Pitches hitting harder than a Beretta
I'm the modern day Bob Gibson, make hitters see crimson
So all you listen, I'm on a mission to get us in the position
To bring to Chicago something rarer than a black truffle
When me and my crew do the World Series Shuffle
It will be a tough night for hitters -- temps probably in the high 40s at Wrigley, with a breeze blowing in. Probably a good time to have Kyle going.
Use the edit button -- that last line should read "World Series Shuffle".
World Series Shuffle?
This team even has rap prospects!
If you look at the FIP and xFIP numbers, the Hendricks vs. Ross matchup doesn't look so bad for the Cubs.
Yeah, Baez got Maddon wanting that D.
That is a fair point. Man this team has crazy depth.
Man, with a 20-6 record, it doesn't seem right to complain about any aspect of this team. What are you expecting? A 26-0 record? I'm not saying that the Cubs are above critique, but I am saying any problems that might exist don't appear to be a major hindrance at the moment. To quote a great philosopher "numbers don't lie, check the scoreboard."
I also recall Joe talking about he liked the way Hendricks matches up on paper against Washington. Assuming it was Joe's doing his Jedi mind tricks thing.
Sergio Mitre??!! LOVE IT!
FREE MATT CLEMENT!