Giants Sweep Cubs in Split Squad Double-Bill at Fitch Park
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs by the scores of 7-0 and 9-2 in a “Split Squad” doubleheader played at Fitch Park in Mesa this morning. The EXST Cubs are now 2-3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training games.
The games were played simultaneously, one game on Field #2 and the other on Field #3. Both games were abbreviated due to the squads having a limited number of pitchers available to throw in a game.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) saw his first game action of the 2010 season today, getting four Plate Appearances in the game on Field #2. He hit the ball hard all four times, grounding out sharply 5-3 his first time up, flying out twice (F-8 and F-9) in his next two ABs, and then crushing a double off the fence in right-center in his 4th and final PA. The 23-year old 6'4 235+ Ridling (310/357/466 with 16 HR & 97 RBI, 34 doubles, and a league-leading 166 hits in 136 games at Peoria in 2009) will probably be at Fitch Park for about another week before joining the Daytona Cubs.
Ridling replaces Matt Spencer as the newest EXST “AB Hog,” as Spencer (broken toe) has completed his rehab and is en route to Daytona, where he will play until the Cubs can open up a roster slot for him at AA Tennessee.
Francisco Guzman had the best day offensively, ripping an RBI triple to CF and beating out a routine ground ball to 2nd base for an infield single, while also scoring two runs. Otherwise, Cubs bats were quiet on both fields.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in each of the first four innings, getting four Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, F-9, 2B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K)
3. Charles Thomas, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, L-7)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-0 (HBP)
4b. Kyung-Min Na, RF: 0-1 (P-5)
5. Melvin Camarena, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6. Manuel Pestana, CF: 0-2 (4-6 FC, K)
7. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
8a. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (K)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Cody Hams – 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Gian Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 2nd base to score unearned run with one out in the top of the 2nd inning)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – eventually scored unearned run)
RF Xavier Batista E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter to reach 2nd base, runner at 2nd base to score, and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base, with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – X. Batista was then immediately pulled from the game)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-3 (1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K+WP, E-6)
3. Bobby Wagner, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, K, HBP)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-1 (5-3, BB, BB)
5. Albert Hernandez, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 4-6-4 GIDP, K, CS)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
7. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (K, P-1, 6-3)
9. Cody Shields, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
1. Frank Batista – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/5 GO/FO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Larry Suarez – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
2B Rafael Disla E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base leading off the top of the 2nd inning – eventually scored unearned run)
P Eduardo Figueroa E-1 (throwing error attempting to pick runner off 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base in the top of the 2nd)
Carlos Romero: – 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Theo was trying to clear the mess that Hendr left
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.