Giants Sweep Cubs in Split Squad Double-Bill at Fitch Park
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs by the scores of 7-0 and 9-2 in a “Split Squad” doubleheader played at Fitch Park in Mesa this morning. The EXST Cubs are now 2-3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training games.
The games were played simultaneously, one game on Field #2 and the other on Field #3. Both games were abbreviated due to the squads having a limited number of pitchers available to throw in a game.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) saw his first game action of the 2010 season today, getting four Plate Appearances in the game on Field #2. He hit the ball hard all four times, grounding out sharply 5-3 his first time up, flying out twice (F-8 and F-9) in his next two ABs, and then crushing a double off the fence in right-center in his 4th and final PA. The 23-year old 6'4 235+ Ridling (310/357/466 with 16 HR & 97 RBI, 34 doubles, and a league-leading 166 hits in 136 games at Peoria in 2009) will probably be at Fitch Park for about another week before joining the Daytona Cubs.
Ridling replaces Matt Spencer as the newest EXST “AB Hog,” as Spencer (broken toe) has completed his rehab and is en route to Daytona, where he will play until the Cubs can open up a roster slot for him at AA Tennessee.
Francisco Guzman had the best day offensively, ripping an RBI triple to CF and beating out a routine ground ball to 2nd base for an infield single, while also scoring two runs. Otherwise, Cubs bats were quiet on both fields.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in each of the first four innings, getting four Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, F-9, 2B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K)
3. Charles Thomas, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, L-7)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-0 (HBP)
4b. Kyung-Min Na, RF: 0-1 (P-5)
5. Melvin Camarena, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6. Manuel Pestana, CF: 0-2 (4-6 FC, K)
7. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
8a. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (K)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Cody Hams – 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Gian Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 2nd base to score unearned run with one out in the top of the 2nd inning)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – eventually scored unearned run)
RF Xavier Batista E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter to reach 2nd base, runner at 2nd base to score, and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base, with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – X. Batista was then immediately pulled from the game)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-3 (1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K+WP, E-6)
3. Bobby Wagner, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, K, HBP)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-1 (5-3, BB, BB)
5. Albert Hernandez, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 4-6-4 GIDP, K, CS)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
7. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (K, P-1, 6-3)
9. Cody Shields, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
1. Frank Batista – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/5 GO/FO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Larry Suarez – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
2B Rafael Disla E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base leading off the top of the 2nd inning – eventually scored unearned run)
P Eduardo Figueroa E-1 (throwing error attempting to pick runner off 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base in the top of the 2nd)
Carlos Romero: – 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon