Giants Sweep Cubs in Split Squad Double-Bill at Fitch Park
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs by the scores of 7-0 and 9-2 in a “Split Squad” doubleheader played at Fitch Park in Mesa this morning. The EXST Cubs are now 2-3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training games.
The games were played simultaneously, one game on Field #2 and the other on Field #3. Both games were abbreviated due to the squads having a limited number of pitchers available to throw in a game.
Rebel Ridling (appendectomy with complications) saw his first game action of the 2010 season today, getting four Plate Appearances in the game on Field #2. He hit the ball hard all four times, grounding out sharply 5-3 his first time up, flying out twice (F-8 and F-9) in his next two ABs, and then crushing a double off the fence in right-center in his 4th and final PA. The 23-year old 6'4 235+ Ridling (310/357/466 with 16 HR & 97 RBI, 34 doubles, and a league-leading 166 hits in 136 games at Peoria in 2009) will probably be at Fitch Park for about another week before joining the Daytona Cubs.
Ridling replaces Matt Spencer as the newest EXST “AB Hog,” as Spencer (broken toe) has completed his rehab and is en route to Daytona, where he will play until the Cubs can open up a roster slot for him at AA Tennessee.
Francisco Guzman had the best day offensively, ripping an RBI triple to CF and beating out a routine ground ball to 2nd base for an infield single, while also scoring two runs. Otherwise, Cubs bats were quiet on both fields.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (EXST Cubs players only):
NOTE: DH #1 Rebel Ridling batted in each of the first four innings, getting four Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Rebel Ridling, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, F-9, 2B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K)
3. Charles Thomas, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, L-7)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-0 (HBP)
4b. Kyung-Min Na, RF: 0-1 (P-5)
5. Melvin Camarena, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6. Manuel Pestana, CF: 0-2 (4-6 FC, K)
7. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
8a. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (K)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Eduardo Figueroa – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Cody Hams – 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Gian Guzman – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach base and runner at 2nd base to score unearned run with one out in the top of the 2nd inning)
3B Vismeldy Bieneme E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – eventually scored unearned run)
RF Xavier Batista E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter to reach 2nd base, runner at 2nd base to score, and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base, with no outs in the top of the 4th inning – X. Batista was then immediately pulled from the game)
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-3 (1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. D. J. Fitzgerald, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K+WP, E-6)
3. Bobby Wagner, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, K, HBP)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-1 (5-3, BB, BB)
5. Albert Hernandez, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 4-6-4 GIDP, K, CS)
6. Runey Davis, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
7. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 6-4-3 GIDP)
8. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (K, P-1, 6-3)
9. Cody Shields, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
1. Frank Batista – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/5 GO/FO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Larry Suarez – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona – 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
2B Rafael Disla E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base leading off the top of the 2nd inning – eventually scored unearned run)
P Eduardo Figueroa E-1 (throwing error attempting to pick runner off 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base in the top of the 2nd)
Carlos Romero: – 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.