The Future History of Cub Managers, 2010–2013

(Apologies in advance if the readings from my crystal ball prove faulty. It's something about the neighborhood. Even the cable reception is erratic around here.)

by Paul Sullivan, Tribune Reporter
2:17 p.m., CDT, May 6, 2010

PITTSBURGH – If you thought that watching his team lose to the perennial doormat Pirates, 9-3, on Wednesday night and plummet into the NL Central basement was the toughest thing Jim Hendry has ever had to do as a baseball man, an hour after the game you were proven wrong.

Hendry informed the assembled media and all of Cub Nation that he was firing his good friend and Cub manager for the past 4+ years and 526 games, Lou Piniella.

"There's no two ways about it. This stinks," said an emotional Hendry, "but after a very disappointing season last year and the awful start we've had this year, we're going to have to take the team in a different direction. Alan Trammell will be taking over the ballclub for the rest of the year, and I know that he and the other coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around.

"There's still time to make this a special season, but the ballplayers have to start doing the things they're capable of. I know that, Alan knows that, and the ballplayers know that."

By Bryan Hoch/MLB.com
11/08/10 11:10 AM ET

NEW YORK — To the surprise of few, the New York Yankees, still basking in the glow of their second consecutive World Championship, have signed manager Joe Girardi to a new, three-year contract.

The former catcher had been rumored to be a candidate for the Chicago Cubs managerial position, which opened up when the team chose not to retain interim manager Alan Trammell. But Girardi said the Yankees post was the only one he wanted.

"This is where I want to be, for as long as the Yankees will have me," Girardi said.

by Dave Van Dyck, Tribune Reporter
9:13 p.m., CST, November 16, 2010

Lou Boudreau did it. Jerry Coleman did it. And now Bob Brenly has done it.

The now ex-Cubs announcer will be stepping out of the broadcast booth and stepping back onto the field as the new manager of the Chicago Cubs. Brenly's hiring was announced Tuesday by General Manager Jim Hendry, whose own future with the Cubs has been the source of endless debate for many months in light of the team's failure to win a single post-season game during Lou Piniella's tenure and the Cubs' dismal fifth-place finish in the National League Central this past year.

Brenly, who led the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 92-70 record and a World Series title in just the team's fourth season, is undaunted by the challenge in front of him.

"I've watched these players," said Brenly. "I know these players. There are some champions on this roster. With the personnel moves that I know Jim is planning to make and by readjusting the way this team approaches its job, I have no doubt we're going to get where we want to go."

If the Brenly Plan should run seriously off-course at some point, the 56-year-old Iowa native won't have to look very far over his shoulder to see his presumptive successor: Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, fresh off his first season managing the Cubs' Triple-A Iowa club, was named Brenly's bench coach.

"Threatened? Not at all," Brenly responded when asked how he'd feel with an obvious future managerial candidate alongside him. "I feel like the luckiest manager on earth knowing I'll have a guy like Ryne Sandberg on the bench next to me. With his baseball smarts and his experience from having worked with some of these young men up as they came up through the system, he's going to be a tremendous asset to me and to the Chicago Cubs."

By Carrie Muskat/MLB.com
01/07/2013 4:46 PM CT

When he patrolled the Cub infield and stood in the batter's box at Wrigley Field, the thought of managing couldn't have been further from his mind. But on Tuesday afternoon, when the Cubs' newest manager was introduced to the media, it was clear that the job offered him the possibility of satisfaction in ways that all of those thousands of Major League at-bats never could.

"I'm honored, really, really honored. That's all I can say," new Cub skipper Neifi Perez said to the assembled reporters and cameras. "Now I'll turn it over to Jim."

"Jim," of course was Cub GM Jim Hendry, who was left to explain one of the most surprising hirings in the history of an organization that has made more than its share.

"Neifi was always on our radar," Hendry said. "There was a misperception—and to be honest, it was really about you folks in the media—that Ryne (Sandberg) was going to be our guy. Obviously, when Ryno took that job in San Diego, that took him out of the picture here. But regardless, we have always liked Neifi. He has a great baseball mind. And I know that he and his coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around."

Comments

I guess I am the only one who likes Lou and hope he stays. Don't worry though, he'll be gone at the end of the season. The club will cite his "health." (diabetes). He will not get fired.
Meanwhile, you can all dream about Sandberg, Brenly, Giraudi, etc., None of them will make a difference at this point. The new ownership does not inspire confidence with their emphasis on marketing to the more mindless element of our fanbase. I just want a bullpen that can THROW STRIKES.

I don't like liars and hypocrites, so I have a lot of problems with Lou, but I agree if your point is that no manager would make this team the dominant force in the NL. I think that the team should contend, though.

Sandberg was a very smart ball player, but I am not sure how much of the mondern analysis he's been able to internalize so far. If he's sacrifice bunting in the first inning, hopefully someone, Bruce Miles or the owner will give him a copy of "The Book" and he'll get in the game.

Neifi... ha.

Unfortunately, the Trammel scenario sounded the most real.

Sandberg will be here by June, right after Ted Lilly.

I love you guys but this actually pissed me off. I've been working non stop for two days and I actually thought this was real. Fuckers.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

We need a real GM. Maybe McFail is available.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

A new manager is not the most glaring need, no.

Brenly won't manage this team as long as Soriano's on it. He may like him as a person. But he can't stand him as a ballplayer.

Nice piece though.

Didn't Brenly say he would not manage his son, in the off chance that his son makes the team in the near future?

In the year 2003, Hillary Clinton swore she would not run for president. People say stuff.

I think Brenly's chances of being manager, Hillary's chances of being president and Michael's chances of being on the major league roster are all approximately equal.

Jim Hendry is still the GM in 2013 and gets to hire 3 new managers?

unpossible.

Neifi! - bold move Cotten, let's see how it plays out.

heyman tweets:

rough week for reds: first volquez ban, now morgan hiring. Reds to introduce Joe Morgan as special advisor  ([email protected]).

rofl...and Greg Maddux plunks Morgan where most of his creative thoughts come from ( in the butt)

says Ryan Dempster to pen is the "most logical", thinks Gorz is staying in rotation

then Dave Cameron says Dempster to pen is the 2nd dumbest thing he's read all day...

I guess I fail to see why it's so "dumb". *shrug*

I'm ready to write him a strongly-worded letter

Because right now, he may be the Cubs best starter...

Though he's right, this is the same Dave Cameron that scoffed at the idea of the Cubs signing Dempster to his original extension. The guy is as pompous as me, but hypocritical on top of it. The baseball analysis community would be better served if he were to take up golf.

Yeah, dumb, it's not like Dempster has any experience out of the pen.

Heyman reiterates that it will be a righty moving to the pen

Considering that John Smoltz went back and forth from starter to reliever - and back (sort of) - it is not unheard of.

The Braves however, for the most part, were a much better all-around team during Smoltz' 'pen days than this Cubs team is now.

In fact, 2002, when he had like 45 saves, the Braves were loaded with the Jones', Javy Lopez, Marcus Giles, Sheff, Furcal, Castilla, DeRosa, Surhoff...

A little "cut above"what the Cubs throw out there these days as their everyday dudes.

However, let the record show that in 2003, with his 55 SAVES, our Cubbies beat their asses! [tomahawk chop - whoa---whoa--whoa...]

I am just saying it would be possible under the right circumstances for Demp to say, "OK". I just don't know if these are them. Is it the right circumstance that his GM is a moron?

Didn't Smoltz go to the pen because he was injured?

Yes, it was to protect his... elbow, I think. One of his arm parts, anyway.

However they shuffle their pitchers won't matter much if they don't score some runs.

AGREED!

Thank you.

And in the meantime, putting a valuable starter in the bullpen doesn't make any sense. When it's the season changer, consider it.

well it makes sense if you want to improve the bullpen, although certainly not the best use of resources. Aren't all the Cubs starters, valuable right now?

obviously Silva is the guy that should go based on past performance and expected drop-off, and if it has to be a righty. As I mentioned, he's had two featherweight offenses so far in Cinci and Houston. It's also nice that he doesn't walk folks.

I just completely contradicted myself in the new thread.

Tim Dierkes not overly impressed by Fukudome's tight flight OB abilities, I guess.

Reyes, Castillo, Wright, Bay, Francoeur, Davis, Barajas, Pagan, Perez.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 7 hours 23 sec ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 14 hours 29 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view