The Future History of Cub Managers, 2010–2013

(Apologies in advance if the readings from my crystal ball prove faulty. It's something about the neighborhood. Even the cable reception is erratic around here.)

by Paul Sullivan, Tribune Reporter
2:17 p.m., CDT, May 6, 2010

PITTSBURGH – If you thought that watching his team lose to the perennial doormat Pirates, 9-3, on Wednesday night and plummet into the NL Central basement was the toughest thing Jim Hendry has ever had to do as a baseball man, an hour after the game you were proven wrong.

Hendry informed the assembled media and all of Cub Nation that he was firing his good friend and Cub manager for the past 4+ years and 526 games, Lou Piniella.

"There's no two ways about it. This stinks," said an emotional Hendry, "but after a very disappointing season last year and the awful start we've had this year, we're going to have to take the team in a different direction. Alan Trammell will be taking over the ballclub for the rest of the year, and I know that he and the other coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around.

"There's still time to make this a special season, but the ballplayers have to start doing the things they're capable of. I know that, Alan knows that, and the ballplayers know that."

By Bryan Hoch/MLB.com
11/08/10 11:10 AM ET

NEW YORK — To the surprise of few, the New York Yankees, still basking in the glow of their second consecutive World Championship, have signed manager Joe Girardi to a new, three-year contract.

The former catcher had been rumored to be a candidate for the Chicago Cubs managerial position, which opened up when the team chose not to retain interim manager Alan Trammell. But Girardi said the Yankees post was the only one he wanted.

"This is where I want to be, for as long as the Yankees will have me," Girardi said.

by Dave Van Dyck, Tribune Reporter
9:13 p.m., CST, November 16, 2010

Lou Boudreau did it. Jerry Coleman did it. And now Bob Brenly has done it.

The now ex-Cubs announcer will be stepping out of the broadcast booth and stepping back onto the field as the new manager of the Chicago Cubs. Brenly's hiring was announced Tuesday by General Manager Jim Hendry, whose own future with the Cubs has been the source of endless debate for many months in light of the team's failure to win a single post-season game during Lou Piniella's tenure and the Cubs' dismal fifth-place finish in the National League Central this past year.

Brenly, who led the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 92-70 record and a World Series title in just the team's fourth season, is undaunted by the challenge in front of him.

"I've watched these players," said Brenly. "I know these players. There are some champions on this roster. With the personnel moves that I know Jim is planning to make and by readjusting the way this team approaches its job, I have no doubt we're going to get where we want to go."

If the Brenly Plan should run seriously off-course at some point, the 56-year-old Iowa native won't have to look very far over his shoulder to see his presumptive successor: Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, fresh off his first season managing the Cubs' Triple-A Iowa club, was named Brenly's bench coach.

"Threatened? Not at all," Brenly responded when asked how he'd feel with an obvious future managerial candidate alongside him. "I feel like the luckiest manager on earth knowing I'll have a guy like Ryne Sandberg on the bench next to me. With his baseball smarts and his experience from having worked with some of these young men up as they came up through the system, he's going to be a tremendous asset to me and to the Chicago Cubs."

By Carrie Muskat/MLB.com
01/07/2013 4:46 PM CT

When he patrolled the Cub infield and stood in the batter's box at Wrigley Field, the thought of managing couldn't have been further from his mind. But on Tuesday afternoon, when the Cubs' newest manager was introduced to the media, it was clear that the job offered him the possibility of satisfaction in ways that all of those thousands of Major League at-bats never could.

"I'm honored, really, really honored. That's all I can say," new Cub skipper Neifi Perez said to the assembled reporters and cameras. "Now I'll turn it over to Jim."

"Jim," of course was Cub GM Jim Hendry, who was left to explain one of the most surprising hirings in the history of an organization that has made more than its share.

"Neifi was always on our radar," Hendry said. "There was a misperception—and to be honest, it was really about you folks in the media—that Ryne (Sandberg) was going to be our guy. Obviously, when Ryno took that job in San Diego, that took him out of the picture here. But regardless, we have always liked Neifi. He has a great baseball mind. And I know that he and his coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around."

Comments

I guess I am the only one who likes Lou and hope he stays. Don't worry though, he'll be gone at the end of the season. The club will cite his "health." (diabetes). He will not get fired.
Meanwhile, you can all dream about Sandberg, Brenly, Giraudi, etc., None of them will make a difference at this point. The new ownership does not inspire confidence with their emphasis on marketing to the more mindless element of our fanbase. I just want a bullpen that can THROW STRIKES.

I don't like liars and hypocrites, so I have a lot of problems with Lou, but I agree if your point is that no manager would make this team the dominant force in the NL. I think that the team should contend, though.

Sandberg was a very smart ball player, but I am not sure how much of the mondern analysis he's been able to internalize so far. If he's sacrifice bunting in the first inning, hopefully someone, Bruce Miles or the owner will give him a copy of "The Book" and he'll get in the game.

Neifi... ha.

Unfortunately, the Trammel scenario sounded the most real.

Sandberg will be here by June, right after Ted Lilly.

I love you guys but this actually pissed me off. I've been working non stop for two days and I actually thought this was real. Fuckers.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

We need a real GM. Maybe McFail is available.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

A new manager is not the most glaring need, no.

Brenly won't manage this team as long as Soriano's on it. He may like him as a person. But he can't stand him as a ballplayer.

Nice piece though.

Didn't Brenly say he would not manage his son, in the off chance that his son makes the team in the near future?

In the year 2003, Hillary Clinton swore she would not run for president. People say stuff.

I think Brenly's chances of being manager, Hillary's chances of being president and Michael's chances of being on the major league roster are all approximately equal.

Jim Hendry is still the GM in 2013 and gets to hire 3 new managers?

unpossible.

Neifi! - bold move Cotten, let's see how it plays out.

heyman tweets:

rough week for reds: first volquez ban, now morgan hiring. Reds to introduce Joe Morgan as special advisor  ([email protected]).

rofl...and Greg Maddux plunks Morgan where most of his creative thoughts come from ( in the butt)

says Ryan Dempster to pen is the "most logical", thinks Gorz is staying in rotation

then Dave Cameron says Dempster to pen is the 2nd dumbest thing he's read all day...

I guess I fail to see why it's so "dumb". *shrug*

I'm ready to write him a strongly-worded letter

Because right now, he may be the Cubs best starter...

Though he's right, this is the same Dave Cameron that scoffed at the idea of the Cubs signing Dempster to his original extension. The guy is as pompous as me, but hypocritical on top of it. The baseball analysis community would be better served if he were to take up golf.

Yeah, dumb, it's not like Dempster has any experience out of the pen.

Heyman reiterates that it will be a righty moving to the pen

Considering that John Smoltz went back and forth from starter to reliever - and back (sort of) - it is not unheard of.

The Braves however, for the most part, were a much better all-around team during Smoltz' 'pen days than this Cubs team is now.

In fact, 2002, when he had like 45 saves, the Braves were loaded with the Jones', Javy Lopez, Marcus Giles, Sheff, Furcal, Castilla, DeRosa, Surhoff...

A little "cut above"what the Cubs throw out there these days as their everyday dudes.

However, let the record show that in 2003, with his 55 SAVES, our Cubbies beat their asses! [tomahawk chop - whoa---whoa--whoa...]

I am just saying it would be possible under the right circumstances for Demp to say, "OK". I just don't know if these are them. Is it the right circumstance that his GM is a moron?

Didn't Smoltz go to the pen because he was injured?

Yes, it was to protect his... elbow, I think. One of his arm parts, anyway.

However they shuffle their pitchers won't matter much if they don't score some runs.

AGREED!

Thank you.

And in the meantime, putting a valuable starter in the bullpen doesn't make any sense. When it's the season changer, consider it.

well it makes sense if you want to improve the bullpen, although certainly not the best use of resources. Aren't all the Cubs starters, valuable right now?

obviously Silva is the guy that should go based on past performance and expected drop-off, and if it has to be a righty. As I mentioned, he's had two featherweight offenses so far in Cinci and Houston. It's also nice that he doesn't walk folks.

I just completely contradicted myself in the new thread.

Tim Dierkes not overly impressed by Fukudome's tight flight OB abilities, I guess.

Reyes, Castillo, Wright, Bay, Francoeur, Davis, Barajas, Pagan, Perez.

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 22 min 49 sec ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 24 min 7 sec ago view
  • I don't know how many of you remember Bobby Knoop, who played 2B for the Angels, White Sox, and Royals back in the day, but he is a coach-emeritus for the Angels, and works with the infielders at Minor League Camp, Extended Spring Training, and Instructs. He's pretty spry for a 77-year old, and he really knows his shit.

Arizona Phil 51 min 35 sec ago view
  • With a big lead, Chapman was throwing sliders and changeups, something he's reluctant to do in a save situation. (Len and Jim covered this.)

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 19 sec ago view
  • Maybe they have a bad owner, I don't know, but they still have players and fans and a franchise, all devastated by this loss of life. Plus, everybody who follows baseball is a fan of a guy like this. It's why I used the word tragedy, which other people throw around but I try to be careful with.

I'm at an age where I remember old incidents better than recent ones, but I have to go back to Herb Score for something as disturbing.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 16 min ago view
  • That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.

billybucks 1 hour 18 min ago view
  • Thank you PHIL.

Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.

I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?

Also, did see much of Satchel McElroy? Only Satchel I have heard about other than the "orignal" and one of Woody Allen's kids.

• Hate to give the Mets credit, but they did everything right tonight in what had to be a very tough game for them to play. As Hollandsworth said on the Cubs post-game -- if you watched the game, you saw Mets players consoling Marlins players who were in tears during the game. Between that and the way Molina handled the Ross farewell -- maybe the Mets and Cardinal players aren't pure evil. Just the fans.

• New York Mets @Mets
    Dee Gordon lead-off home run. #AintEvenMad #BiggerThanBaseball 1-0 Miami.
    7:25 PM - 26 Sep 2016

• Amazing effort by Gordon -- truly remarkable.

• Cubs get 100, KB gets 100, Hendricks gets below 2.00, Cards get absolutely destroyed by the Reds -- all good, other than some Rondon concern. Hopefully, he can get a few outings in this week and find his groove. Also, I guess Soler is still struggling with his right side. Hmmmm. Too bad Joe didn't let Addy bat with the bases loaded in the 7th -- great RBI opportunity.

I assume all the relievers are on a set schedule this week, but it seems strange Chapman pitched back-to-back.

• Barry Rozner article interviewing Greg Maddux (with comments on Kyle Hendricks).

"I like watching him pitch," Maddux said of Hendricks. "I like guys that rely on movement and location. I can relate to him. That's what I had to do. "I'd rather watch him pitch than some lefty throwing 95 mph."

Cubster 12 hours 56 min ago view
  • cubs win #100. neat.

• Chapman in to stop the bleeding.

Brick 13 hours 12 min ago view
  • they're falling apart late in WAS...damn.

• Wilson Ramos may be hurt badly. Carried off the field. Looks like the knee.

John Beasley 13 hours 45 min ago view